Andrei0408

Honorable
Jun 17, 2017
My current PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X4 840 Quad Core Processor 3.10 GHz
RAM: 10.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
Motherboard: ASUS A68HM-K

So right now I have 10 GB of RAM, but they are 2 different sticks, one of them is a 2GB Kingston stick and the other one is a 8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 MHz CL11.
Now, I want to either replace the Kingston one with an identical 8GB Corsair one or replace both of them with two 8GB sticks. Now here comes my problem:
In my country, 1x8GB Corsair XMS3 (https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1x8GB-12800-Desktop-Memory/dp/B008Y6SV1W?th=1) costs as much as this 2x8GB kit: https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-1866MHz-Desktop-Memory-Heatsink/dp/B00453R90W, which has higher frequency and lower latency, so technically the second kit would be better. Why is that? Is the Corsair kit that good, or should I just buy the 1866MHz kit? Thanks in advance!

Solution
In my country
Where would that be? Perhaps we can find a better solution for you...?

I'd advise on getting a 2x8GB DDR3-2133MHz 1.65v kit of ram since your platform can get to that frequency. Also, before you invest in a ram kit, I'd try and make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version.

Sometimes parts are priced higher to dissuade you from investing on older generation parts or simply due to availability. Tighter timings(like CL9 or lower) would also be a good thing for your platform to gain FPS.

Lutfij

Titan
In my country
Where would that be? Perhaps we can find a better solution for you...?

I'd advise on getting a 2x8GB DDR3-2133MHz 1.65v kit of ram since your platform can get to that frequency. Also, before you invest in a ram kit, I'd try and make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version.

Sometimes parts are priced higher to dissuade you from investing on older generation parts or simply due to availability. Tighter timings(like CL9 or lower) would also be a good thing for your platform to gain FPS.

Solution