[SOLVED] Which router

liderbug

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Please educate me - a $50 router vs a $500 router. One antenna vs 27. Here's my situation: Local Grange Hall (log building, 12" logs) bfcommunityclub dot org and we are getting a high speed fiber line (w fiber to ether converter). The room is 35x70 and usage will be: up to half a dozen cellphones, maybe a video for the scouts, streaming of the wedding to grandmother is Fla. 90% of the time usage will be zero.

I plan on installing 2 RJ45 jacks next to the projector plugs. Also, management would like an external pavilion to receive WiFi 150 ft south of the hall. That's for tomorrow but don't discount.

I know I need a router that will handle 1 gig+ throughput, 1 WAN, 4 LAN. Is there somewhere (here???) where I can see a table saying why this $350 router is $300 better than a $50 one?

Thanks

Solution
Not really. The better approach is to buy a good AC router (about $150 for an R7000 or similar) and a couple of access points, including one attached to an underground cable to the pavilion if possible. Since the building is longer by double, you want the router near one end (say the 1/4 point) and an access point (or cheap router set up as an AP like THIS) at the 3/4 point. The pavilion will need a separate access point that far away. The specific recommendation depends if you can get a cable to it and if it is weatherproof.

RealBeast

Titan
Not really. The better approach is to buy a good AC router (about $150 for an R7000 or similar) and a couple of access points, including one attached to an underground cable to the pavilion if possible. Since the building is longer by double, you want the router near one end (say the 1/4 point) and an access point (or cheap router set up as an AP like THIS) at the 3/4 point. The pavilion will need a separate access point that far away. The specific recommendation depends if you can get a cable to it and if it is weatherproof.

Solution