[SOLVED] Which settings to apply to play in true hdr?

Maramsp

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2016
Hey all.

As of today, im in the posession of a new monitor. It does support freesync officially and g-sync unoficially, and also its display hdr 400 certified. And yes, i know it isnt the best hdr option, but my tv had it, so i thought why not go for the less expensive hdr400 :)
Anyway, before i continue, im talking about this monitor:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aorus-cv27f-165hz-curved-hdr,6358.html

And now comes my question.

It seems that i can enable hdr in windows itself, in games, and in both windows and games separately.
However, when i enable it in windows, the monitor goes to hdr mode in the osd, and therefor i cannot apply any more settings like contrast, color temp etc.
Also when enabling it in windows, it makes the text on screen a bit more blurry, but the overall colors are more saturated.

But then, even when the hdr is disabled in windows, i can still enable hdr in (for now) every game i have tested. However when doing so, doesnt switch the osd to hdr mode, so i can still edit the settings.

For now, I have found the sweet spot for red dead redemption 2, which means hdr in windows off, hdr ingame on, and applying just a tiny bit of contrast via the nvidia ingame overlay.

So, as im new to the whole hdr on monitors in windows thing, i was wondering if im doing everything correct.

So, what should i do to fully enjoy the capabilities of my screen? Turn on hdr both in windows and ingame, or only turn it on in game, or only in windows, or something completely different?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Cheers, Mara

p.s My system is:

ryzen 1800X
Geforce RTX 2070
32gb ram
win 10 64
And ofcourse ive connected my monitor via DP instead of hdmi :)

Solution
Just whatever works best. It was said some time ago the HDR in Windows was fixed. Back when I was trying it though on an entry level high end Sony Bravia TV, HDR in Windows didn't really work at all. Once you enabled it, everything on desktop looked all washed out, and in game, like ME Andromeda, it would cause the game to crash all the time.

The bottom line is, Microsoft have no business even calling themselves founders of the PC Gaming Alliance, because they clearly only care about console gaming.

That said, it sounds like you already found the best way to do it that allows settings changes by what you said about RDR2, so I suggest you stick with that for now. If MS ever pull their heads out of their arses, or you get a display that...
Just whatever works best. It was said some time ago the HDR in Windows was fixed. Back when I was trying it though on an entry level high end Sony Bravia TV, HDR in Windows didn't really work at all. Once you enabled it, everything on desktop looked all washed out, and in game, like ME Andromeda, it would cause the game to crash all the time.

The bottom line is, Microsoft have no business even calling themselves founders of the PC Gaming Alliance, because they clearly only care about console gaming.

That said, it sounds like you already found the best way to do it that allows settings changes by what you said about RDR2, so I suggest you stick with that for now. If MS ever pull their heads out of their arses, or you get a display that has more HDR settings or compatibility, then maybe things will get better.

The thing you need to remember about HDR support in games though, is it's still just trickling into the market, and it's popularity may have even been slowed down by COVID. At this stage you need to try different settings with different games, including whether you use Windows HDR or not. This is all the more true with an entry level HDR type that isn't as popular.

Solution