Question Which should I buy I9 9900k OEM VS RETAIL

ganeshnampalli98800

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
so today I went to buy a i9-9900k in a shops and as 9900k has stock shortage so they are offering me OEM 9900k for less cost.. And they said they will provide 3 years of warranty from there side so which should I buy... OEM version gonna cost me over 597$ & retail one gonna cost me over 653$ USD in my country . please help I need to build pc in 2 days

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's no warranty you, as a consumer can claim via Intel - these days, that's about the only difference.

If the retailer is warranting the CPU (and they're reliable), then the cheaper OEM 'tray' processor should be fine.

Where are you located? Have you checked prices/availability of a 9900KF?

ganeshnampalli98800

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
There's no warranty you, as a consumer can claim via Intel - these days, that's about the only difference.

If the retailer is warranting the CPU (and they're reliable), then the cheaper OEM 'tray' processor should be fine.

Where are you located? Have you checked prices/availability of a 9900KF?
hey there thanks for replying im from india and kf version costs around 600usd in my country what should i do help me

ganeshnampalli98800

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
Personally, for the sake of ~$3 (or local equivalent), I'd opt for the retail 9900KF if I was pairing with a discreet GPU (it's a 9900K without the integrated graphics)

The OEM 9900K is fine too, if the store are warranting it - I'd just be a little more comfortable knowing I had a warranty via Intel, for the sake of ~$3.
I don't know much will the i9900kf be good for streaming I mean does it does the same job as i9900k .. I'm pairing it with 2080s

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
thanks. i saw some formus saying that k version has some quick sync advantage
It depends which video encoder you want to use for streaming. You can use software encoder, which typically has the best quality but can take up a fair bit of CPU processing power. Or you can use a hardware encoder. Your Nvidia GPU has the NVENC encoder and Intel integrated graphics have the Quicksync encoder (no idea how the quality compares between NVENC and Quicksync). Using NVENC will have some (but hopefully little) impact on your 2080S performance. So I guess if you were really concerned about your encoding having a performance impact, it would be best to use quick sync. But with a 9900K and a 2080 Super, I think your PC is powerful enough to handle encoding using one of the other options.

ganeshnampalli98800

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
It depends which video encoder you want to use for streaming. You can use software encoder, which typically has the best quality but can take up a fair bit of CPU processing power. Or you can use a hardware encoder. Your Nvidia GPU has the NVENC encoder and Intel integrated graphics have the Quicksync encoder (no idea how the quality compares between NVENC and Quicksync). Using NVENC will have some (but hopefully little) impact on your 2080S performance. So I guess if you were really concerned about your encoding having a performance impact, it would be best to use quick sync. But with a 9900K and a 2080 Super, I think your PC is powerful enough to handle encoding using one of the other options.
I guess i will go with oem 9900k is 650 watt corsair bronze enough for this build?

TRENDING THREADS