[SOLVED] Which Should I Buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kultivater

Commendable
Aug 30, 2020
I face a bit of a conundrum. I'm about to buy a fully built pc(because it's ironically cheaper right now than building one yourself part by part). I believe I've narrowed it down to two: I'm looking at one that is going for $1424 that has an Intel Core i9 9900k, 16GB DDR4, and a GeForce RTX 2080 ti., and another going for $1680 with an AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, same RAM, and a GeForce RTX 3060. Now, I'm 100% an AMD fan. If I had a choice in the matter, I'd put nothing but AMD in my rig(my current rig is 100% AMD). However. skyrocketing prices and incredibly limited part availability has forced me to consider Intel and Nvidia(ugh). Here's my conundrum: The Ryzen 7 is not only way better than the i9, but it also leaves open big possibilities for upgrade, without even having to swap boards and RAM. However, the RTX 2080 ti is way better than the 3060. GPU prices as they are, I wanted to get the best GPU possible in whatever rig I buy, and upgrade the CPU later, however, being that I'm faced with an i9, that seems more trouble than it's worth, so I'm leaning toward the Ryzen 7, even ignoring my bias toward AMD. What does everyone else think?

Solution
For most games, it is the graphics card that matters most.
Today, most any current gen processor in the $200 class will do the job.
Here is a review of the $160 I5-11400f:
Considering the nasty current graphics card situation, shop for the graphics card first.

Can you supply links to the options you are considering?
For one thing, ryzen will need fast ram for best performance.
For another, pre builts often include power supplies that preclude upgrades.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I came here because I was looking at two specific computers for purchase and wanted outside opinions. I didn't know CLX was selling brand new ones relatively cheap at the time.

Also, yes it does. Most of the time anyway, at 1080p. Radeon excels at 1080p, and GeForce excels at higher ones. Radeon almost always beats out GeForce at 1080p. Watch the benchmarks for yourself if you'd like. It even usually scores better than the 3060 ti.

In 4 years, the Ryzen 9 5900 will still be one of the best gaming CPUs money can buy. AMD releasing a higher end socket type does not make current ones obsolete. I'm still saving money and achieving better performance. The i9 9900k barely outperforms the Ryzen 7 3800x, and the 9 5900 will cost me less money to install than any Intel chip that beats it for many years to come.
Sorry, but you sound like a fanboy and your first statement that you're 100% fan of AMD, proves that. What's the point even making this thread if you won't listen to others?

Going for a worse build just because you like specific brand is very stupid. It's your choice, but it's a stupid choice.

Also stating that AMD always beats Nvidia is stupid.

Don't be a fanboy. Be rational and smart.

Last edited:

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you guys get so mad at OP. He came here asking for help, listened to what you say and then spend his money the way it pleases HIM. Don't we all do that? Peace.
He didn't come to listen others opinions. He never even intended to listen and consider Intel build. He just wanted to hear others and then argue with them that AMD is better and he will go with AMD build, even if no one agrees with him. Such threads serve zero purpose & cause conflicts and brand wars.