Which ssd for my laptop?

damsco93

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi all,

So basically my laptop has been acting very weird lately. Windows doesn't want to start up and it freezes at the windows logo when I turn it on. The programs I use sometimes suddenly freeze/crash and afterwards it takes ages to turn on the pc.

I asked around and came to the conclusion that I need to replace my hdd with something new. I decided to go with an ssd. Now my knowledge on this subject is very limited. I know how to replace it because I fully disassembled my laptop once to clean it up. But what I don;t know is which ssd to buy. Do I need to look at what kind of CPU I have before buying one? Does any ssd work for any laptop? I'm aiming for 64 or 120gb ssd, do both just fit in my laptop? And what i also want to know is, do I need to reinstal ALL software after replacing my hdd?Do I need to reinstal windows for example? These are question I have no answer to because I simply don't know much about this matter.

Can somebody suggest something that fits my laptop? And Perhaps answer a few question? I would really appreciate it.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 5750G
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.11
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3948MB RAM

Please don't mind my spelling and English because I'm Dutch. My native forums aren't that great so I came here for help. In any case, thanks for taking the time to read my story.

Gr,

Tim

Solution
@mhd_1

No, not all SSD can be fitted into a laptop (erm, notebook=laptop and ultrabook is a subclass of notebook/laptop under ultra portables).

If I were to classify laptops/notebook based on the users on TH, it would be a branch under portable PC, on the side of LAN boxs like this:

Laptop/Notebook

Desktop replacement (Workstation, gaming)
General (Multimedia, work, school)
Ultra Portable (Ultrabook, netbook)

9.5mm SSD will not fit into 7mm bay. mSATA SSD will not fit into any SATA bay if there is no adapter. There are also integrated SSD on the mobo which makes it impossible for SSD upgrade.

You are way over generalizing it mate! :)

@OP

Luckily, Acer Aspire 5750g has a 9.5mm bay. So even if you are replace it with a 7mm SSD...

mhd_1

Honorable
May 5, 2012
if it is a laptop (not notebook/ultrabook) then all SSDs will fit. Some thin laptops (i.e. ultrabooks) need slim SSDs, and an SSD such as OCZ vertex 4 will not fit.

As for your questions, let me answer respectively.

1- Do I need to look at what kind of CPU I have before buying one?
No, you don't. SSDs will work fine with your computer specs.

2- Does any ssd work for any laptop?
Yes, bearing in mind what I have just said earlier.

3- I'm aiming for 64 or 120gb ssd, do both just fit in my laptop?
Capacity does not matter here, what matters is the dimensions of your SSD.

4- do I need to reinstal ALL software after replacing my hdd?Do I need to reinstal windows for example?
It is always recommended to do that. But if you do not want to, you can use a migration software. (See this thread for more info: http://www.sata3ssd.com/hdd-to-ssd-do-it-the-safe-way-with-no-data-loss/

5- Can somebody suggest something that fits my laptop?
Have a look on this article: http://www.sata3ssd.com/the-best-fastest-solid-state-drives-ssd/

I hope I have helped you.

@mhd_1

No, not all SSD can be fitted into a laptop (erm, notebook=laptop and ultrabook is a subclass of notebook/laptop under ultra portables).

If I were to classify laptops/notebook based on the users on TH, it would be a branch under portable PC, on the side of LAN boxs like this:

Laptop/Notebook

Desktop replacement (Workstation, gaming)
General (Multimedia, work, school)
Ultra Portable (Ultrabook, netbook)

9.5mm SSD will not fit into 7mm bay. mSATA SSD will not fit into any SATA bay if there is no adapter. There are also integrated SSD on the mobo which makes it impossible for SSD upgrade.

You are way over generalizing it mate! :)

@OP

Luckily, Acer Aspire 5750g has a 9.5mm bay. So even if you are replace it with a 7mm SSD, there is a change it may rattle a bit (it depends on the design of the caddy on which the drive is mounted on the laptop). A bit annoying if it rattles, but that can be fixed with some DIY padding.

Check that 7mm SSD is ok before just blindly grabbing any drive off the shelf. Also, mSATA SSD won't work.

I recommend Samsung 840.

Solution

damsco93

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Thanks for the fast replies guys both of you! The answers were very helpfull. I think im going for this one. It's cheap and it's a samsung. I dont get the 9mm bay thing. Im not sure but it says the size is 100 x 69,85 x 6,8 mm so that mean it needs a 7mm bay? If it is I'll probably search for something different. I dont want any rattling or problems with this thing.

http://www.wehkamp.nl/computer-telecom/harde-schijven-opslag/solid-state-harde-schijven-(ssd)/samsung-840-series-120-gb-ssd-schijf/C31_6FB_F4A_777878/?cm_mmc_o=7BBTkwCjC-kTwFwwECVyBpAgfkblfbETzplCjCZzypwlgtbXMwEwEB5lkzTCjCIIIoIo

I don't understand the 3.5 or 2.5 inch thing but I'll try to find out.