[SOLVED] Which thermal paste/compound do I get?

Jeffsta

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I'm looking at newegg and there is 49 pages worth of thermal paste/compound. I've searched the forums on here and have seen some recommendations, but I'm confused as to which is the best. I'm switching to a bigger case and have to remove the CPU cooler to have access to one of the power plugs and one of the screws on the motherboard. I have a i5-4690k CPU that I want to overclock. I live in the U.S. and would prefer to buy it on newegg.

Also, is this thermal material remover & surface purifier necessary to clean off the old thermal paste/compound?

Solution
I'm looking at newegg and there is 49 pages worth of thermal paste/compound. I've searched the forums on here and have seen some recommendations, but I'm confused as to which is the best. I'm switching to a bigger case and have to remove the CPU cooler to have access to one of the power plugs and one of the screws on the motherboard. I have a i5-4690k CPU that I want to overclock. I live in the U.S. and would prefer to buy it on newegg.

Also, is this thermal material remover & surface purifier necessary to clean off the old thermal paste/compound?
Thermal paste doesn't make that much of an impact, so choosing one of the recommended would be ok. As for cleaning the thermal paste, yes you need to clean the previous...

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

Thermal paste doesn't make that much of an impact, so choosing one of the recommended would be ok. As for cleaning the thermal paste, yes you need to clean the previous one but I don't think that thermal material is for that purpose. You should clean the most thermal paste from you CPU with a lint free cloth(microfibre or coffee filter) and then pour some 99% isopropyl alcohol to your lint free cloth and wipe your CPU's surface gently. That's how you clean thermal paste.
Arctic MX-4 or Silver
Thermal Grizzly
These are some good thermal pastes.

Solution