[SOLVED] Which to upgrade first? Video card or CPU?

CDS1972

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
I would like to do an upgrade for my current system which has a 3900x and a 2080 super and then pass on the replaced part to my brother to help him upgrade his system which only has a 3100 and a 9 year old AMD video card.
Now this year I can budget in either one of the new AMD CPUs or a Nvidia or AMD (leaning towards AMD) graphics card.
So I really could use some advice on which one to do this year for myself keeping in mind next year I will be upgrading the other component then most likely and again passing on the part to my brothers system as an upgrade.

Solution
I would like to do an upgrade for my current system which has a 3900x and a 2080 super and then pass on the replaced part to my brother to help him upgrade his system which only has a 3100 and a 9 year old AMD video card.
Now this year I can budget in either one of the new AMD CPUs or a Nvidia or AMD (leaning towards AMD) graphics card.
So I really could use some advice on which one to do this year for myself keeping in mind next year I will be upgrading the other component then most likely and again passing on the part to my brothers system as an upgrade.
I'd say upgrade your GPU. But make sure to get the 649$ + GPUs because otherwise not a big performance jump. Your bro is going to have a bottleneck whatever part you give him...
I'd say upgrade your GPU. But make sure to get the 649$ + GPUs because otherwise not a big performance jump. Your bro is going to have a bottleneck whatever part you give him, but the GPU will cause much less of one. And great cheap CPUs are on the way! Or you could give your CPU off to him next year too

Solution

CDS1972

Commendable
Oct 22, 2020
I'd say upgrade your GPU. But make sure to get the 649$ + GPUs because otherwise not a big performance jump. Your bro is going to have a bottleneck whatever part you give him, but the GPU will cause much less of one. And great cheap CPUs are on the way! Or you could give your CPU off to him next year too
Ya looking at either the 3080 from Nvidia or the 6800 XT from AMD though leaning towards the AMD if the hype over it supposedly working better with their CPUs makes it worth it.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt