Question Which TV? Out of these two. On a budget. Moving soon. First 75in 4kTV. Other option input, helpful as well.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Thanks for looking...now...

So these are the two 2 TV's and brands I have not owned in at least 5 years or even maybe a decade. Since then I've been on a very small budget i'd mostly used TCL (not saying they are bad, tho) or even less, like Spectre (I believe its spelled). That said. I game on an LG (I'll link: Amazon.com: LG 32GN650-B Ultragear Gaming Monitor 32” QHD (2560 x 1440) Display, 165Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms MBR, HDR 10, sRGB 95% Color Gamut, AMD FreeSync – Black : Everything Else ) Monitor, PC gaming, mostly. These TV's will be mostly for Blu Ray movie watching, someday perhaps 4k blu ray. I also have an Xbox Series S, a gift, that I only buy cheap (under $20) games, or just game pass, since its not to bad in price and quality for me. For that, I don't mind some lag, or what not, basically I'm a movie buff, so yeah if anything I could see a 4k blu ray player coming to one of these TV's. Or some streaming when things settle down, speaking of which - No streaming for a good while. So not super - interested in that feature but input on the better TV for that is welcome. Kinda waiting on the lineup of services/ and more input on that would be helpful. But as a physical media collector, it doesn't seem to fit me at this point in my move (streaming I mean). Now -- first off -- a big thank you to any help -- if there is better fit for this price range (650-700 before tax). Link it, I do prefer Wal-Mart basically because its the only store near me that carries TV's (sad, right?) hehe. Yeah I do not like shipping a TV, as frankly I get anxious as heck! haha.

Here are the two, that appeal to me in store, and the brands as well. Samsung I'll admit I usually never bought, as they back when they seemed popular like now, I didnt have the cash. Vizios, I had several 32in. And thats it. And enjoyed them. But that was mostly PS3/Xbox 360 era, and maybe one 1080p 1, in the early xbox one/ps4 era. Anywho here are the two TV's and I hope I'm linking the official site spec's correctly, to help out. Also if anyone is wondering why I did not link an LG tv since I have a LG monitor for my PC, its strictly because I can't find one in this price range, also, I've had 1 LG TV recently (like 2018 - recently) and was not fond of it. But that said - open to it. It just lacked things that at the time I needed -- but it was my fault for not researching, and also keeping it, when I coulda returned. So yup, open to anything. Tho here ya go all! TY! ;))

Before I post the new one's I would consider getting, here is my current 65in, which was/is my biggest TV to date, TCL, and its ok. Giving it to my 70 year old father who doesn't even really know 4k, or what it is,etc. He'll just be happy to have the big size. =)

TCL 65" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV - 65S451 - Walmart.com

Now the ones I made this post for:

VIZIO: 75in

VIZIO 75" Class V-Series 4K UHD LED Smart TV V755-J04 - Walmart.com

V755-J04 Model Information (vizio.com)

SAMSUNG: 75in

SAMSUNG 75" Class 4K Crystal UHD (2160P) LED Smart TV with HDR UN75TU7000B - Walmart.com

75" Class TU7000 4K UHD HDR Smart TV (2020) TVs - UN75TU7000FXZA | Samsung US

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Weirdly, in your price range and size. TCL gets the recommendation from Rtings.com.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/70-75-77-inch

I've had two Vizio P series over the years, a 60" and 65" and they are decent, but not amazing. I actually preferred the older TV's OS, but it burned out, I replaced the caps, and it burned out two weeks later, so I haven't tried repairing it again. One of those risky cost problems, I could spend $200 on a replacement power board, only to have the problem be in the digital section. Or spend 500-600 on an equivalent replacement with newer features. (Though the 65" I did get was $900 or something like that)

My father has an old Samsung 1080p 60", still kicking after, more than ten years, I want to say somewhere around 2010 or 2011?

If you are really an aficionado, I suggest waiting a bit and spending more on an OLED of some sort.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Thanks for the reply my friend and the advice/input. I did notice the vizio I linked had I think 2.1 HDMI ports, will that help or make any good difference for 4k blu ray player in the future or my xbox series S, where as I dont see that on the samsung i listed. Please keep replies coming that are helpful thanks again!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, having more HDMI ports certainly won't hurt in the long run. Though HDMI 2.1 hubs/switches are sure to become common eventually.

I don't think you need 2.1 for even 4K blu-ray, not enough bit rate. 2.1 is really only useful for 8K and high refresh rate 4K.

I’ve got the 65 inch tcl in our living room and a 65 version of that Vizio in the basement aka man cave. I’d take the Vizio personally. I told my wife if we move or decide to mount the TV to the wall we’ll bring the vizio upstairs and move the other downstairs. Partly due to quality, partly due to the fact that the tcl is the older sweet and gets more used so might as well make them last.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
So I have just very recently decided to get a PS5 soon-ish. That said I have ability no fiancial anyway to get a "quality" 75in TV with the move and the PS5 (tbh even that is subject to change). That said I don't mind input lag to what most wouldn't like. Or just 60hz, the main reason I'm going to get a PS5 is for the exclusives. Altho I remember reading back in late 2021 how a lot of ppl were playing them on 720p TVs for no reason other then financial so I suppose there are folks like myself who have to stick to budgets, but I wasn't aware of those extremes.

All this said: This Xbox Series S (until the inevitable X or w/e drops in price) will always be my main console, simply because game pass is affordable -- so:

Out of all the 650-700 dollar range 4k 75in TV's which would you guys suggest for someone who is not going to fuss about lag/and or quality and just wants "decent" quality and size?

Thanks, I know that all sounds stranger then, even I intended, lol. I guess growing up with black and white TV's help at times.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Looks like they are both 60hz so may not be a lot of difference. I’ve got the 65 inch vizio v series so almost the same as the one above just smaller, and it’s not bad. I use it with my series s. Don’t think the ps5 will be able to go high refresh rates with it, but for games even at 60hz it’s not a bad set and stuff still looks good on it imo.

One thing I will point out that I’ve read is that sometimes people have had issues with vizio sets when they updated their firmware and then had to wait for another firmware update to hopefully fix it which is sad imo. That said I’m of the school of thought that I don’t connect my smart TVs to the internet. I’ll get a roku or similar device and use that but I don’t use the built in smarts of the TVs. Keeps things simpler imo. For example a friend of mine has a 50 inch insignia roku TV that he used the built in roku for a while and started having issues with it shutting off or booting him out of things. I helped him bypass that and connected a normal roku to it and as far as I know he still uses it. I think it’s relegated to his basement now for sports and video games but basically he was about to just buy another set and bought more time that way.

Last edited:

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
Looks like they are both 60hz so may not be a lot of difference. I’ve got the 65 inch vizio v series so almost the same as the one above just smaller, and it’s not bad. I use it with my series s. Don’t think the ps5 will be able to go high refresh rates with it, but for games even at 60hz it’s not a bad set and stuff still looks good on it imo.

One thing I will point out that I’ve read is that sometimes people have had issues with vizio sets when they updated their firmware and then had to wait for another firmware update to hopefully fix it which is sad imo. That said I’m of the school of thought that I don’t connect my smart TVs to the internet. I’ll get a roku or similar device and use that but I don’t use the built in smarts of the TVs. Keeps things simpler imo. For example a friend of mine has a 50 inch insignia roku TV that he used the built in roku for a while and started having issues with it shutting off or booting him out of things. I helped him bypass that and connected a normal roku to it and as far as I know he still uses it. I think it’s relegated to his basement now for sports and video games but basically he was about to just buy another set and bought more time that way.

Thanks for the input! Yeah the Vizio if like my old ones would be great. The LG tho, gosh the reviews seem to say its pretty darn great for a budget/entry level 75in TV. However the Vizio has 1 extra HDMI port - which I need.

Anywho - yeah sadly vizio and other companies outside say TCL who do mostly Roku TV's. Tend to have sloppy firmware updates. That do as said, take a while.

I have a 65 inch tcl roku TV in the living room, the vizio is downstairs. I don’t have either one connected to the internet. They work fine without new firmware updates. On my tcl I have it set to go to a certain hdmi port when it starts up which actually has a roku stick plugged in. I just don’t like having my smart TVs connected directly to the web. Seems like letting them do firmware updates may introduce more issues and not that I’ve ever seen this but what if people ever hacked your TV? At least with a roku or fire stick I can replace the device cheaply.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
True. I mean the less connected the better too. However I know for a fact brands like LG/Sony,etc will do good firmware updates for future tech. like the 2.1 hdmi ports and other 4k stuff mostly gaming I'd imagine. Anyway to each their own. For me they'll be connected -- as I don't stream but if I do I don't want a 2nd purchase simply for security. Tho, it is certainly a preference.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've had some nice UI updates from Vizio. I hated it when I got it compared to my older Vizio. Input selection being across the whole screen was the annoying one, also had the selection at the far left with current selection in the middle, quite confusing. They have since moved it to a typical vertical menu at left side of the screen.

My remaining annoyance is that my old Vizio came with a keyboard on the back remote. Old remote works with the new TV, except for the keyboard...

They also did get around to getting the voice remote to work(as advertised), but I have never used it.

Vizio is somewhat famous for the viewing data they got caught farming. What they would do is take a single row of pixels, compare it against a library of content and sell anonymous viewing data. They were forced to stop that since there was no opt in/out and the capability was not advertised.

Smart stick option is the same basic thing, all they have to do is update the terms and services and they can sneak in anything.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
I've had some nice UI updates from Vizio. I hated it when I got it compared to my older Vizio. Input selection being across the whole screen was the annoying one, also had the selection at the far left with current selection in the middle, quite confusing. They have since moved it to a typical vertical menu at left side of the screen.

My remaining annoyance is that my old Vizio came with a keyboard on the back remote. Old remote works with the new TV, except for the keyboard...

They also did get around to getting the voice remote to work(as advertised), but I have never used it.

Vizio is somewhat famous for the viewing data they got caught farming. What they would do is take a single row of pixels, compare it against a library of content and sell anonymous viewing data. They were forced to stop that since there was no opt in/out and the capability was not advertised.

Smart stick option is the same basic thing, all they have to do is update the terms and services and they can sneak in anything.

yah thats true about streaming sticks -- personally i rarely stream - outside youtube and thats irregular as of late. I love my physical media personally. That said -- digital, sadly for me is the future.