[SOLVED] Which type of surge protector

KP5320

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
I wish to buy a surge protector for a desktop with a nice Seasonic PSU.
Now, I see sold here ones that include turn on delay (several minutes), and ones that do not.
Which should I use? Would the delay help a PC, or would it just shut down the PC when it could have kept working, and do more harm than good?
Not too many power issues here.

Solution
The models with a delay are good if you're experiencing dips, brownouts and flickers, they're mainly for the use with motors (fridge, washing machine, dryer) but also fine for a PC.

If your options are all low quality then it's better to have the PC with nothing inbetween and start saving for a decent UPS.

You know, links could help, even if they're in I dunno Finnish there are certain technical details that can be read by anyone around the globe.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I wish to buy a surge protector for a desktop with a nice Seasonic PSU.
Now, I see sold here ones that include turn on delay (several minutes), and ones that do not.
Which should I use? Would the delay help a PC, or would it just shut down the PC when it could have kept working, and do more harm than good?
Not too many power issues here.

Most worthawhile PSU's come with surge, OVP, OCP, OTP, SCP protections built-in out of the box. I would steer clear of the "wallplug" surge protectors, most of them are little more than additional firehazard.

Most higher up the stack Seasonic or Corsair PSU have all the required circuitry built in out of the box.

On a final note, transient voltage spikes (surges) are not as damaging as voltage drops ( where transient load goes through the roof) and all those fancy "surge" protectors from wallmart or amazon can't do jack about those :)

I was looking at a couple of local stores. They have at least 3 brands of each, and even more models, for different appliances, corded...
If there are any specs you wish to know, I can check.

So you're in the U.S.?

Because different countries use different mains voltages and plug types, makes and models vary per country. That's why I asked.

Can't go wrong with Tripp-Lite if you're looking for a generic suggestion.

Most worthawhile PSU's come with surge, OVP, OCP, OTP, SCP protections built-in out of the box.

Yes. But a lightning strike is a lightning strike and it doesn't matter what PSU you have if it gets blown up.

KP5320

Reputable
Mar 2, 2017
So you're in the U.S.?

Because different countries use different mains voltages and plug types, makes and models vary per country. That's why I asked.

Can't go wrong with Tripp-Lite if you're looking for a generic suggestion.
No, we have 230v, and brands that you would not know, local names, made by unknown others. Could not find anything useful online, and no Tripp-Lite.
So what do you think about the delay? Not needed? Because it sounds like nobody has even heard of that. I was explained that it's important because the power may not stable the first moments after it returns, but I would not call it an expert source.
And again, nothing wrong with the power here.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
The models with a delay are good if you're experiencing dips, brownouts and flickers, they're mainly for the use with motors (fridge, washing machine, dryer) but also fine for a PC.

If your options are all low quality then it's better to have the PC with nothing inbetween and start saving for a decent UPS.

You know, links could help, even if they're in I dunno Finnish there are certain technical details that can be read by anyone around the globe.

Solution