Which version of Windows is recommended for new system?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I am building a new workstation with i9-7900X and 64GB RAM (may end up needing 128GB RAM later). In case of Windows, which version do you recommend? Due to possible compatibility issues with Windows 8 and the old programs I use, I have been using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on an old computer for many years. Thanks

Solution
The latest Intel and AMD platforms supports only Windows10 officially. If you install anything else, there will be some compatibility issues.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Windows 10 Home or Pro would be the way to go. and if you need that much RAM WOW.. and just a thought http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-TR-1950X/3936vs3932 I have the threadripper 1950X running server 2016 with 64GB of ECC ram.. if you really need that much ram maybe using ECC ram would be the way to go as well if you have not already. IF you are only doing workstation stuff the 1950X is a little cheaper but has better performance and so far that system has been ROCK stable running a few different Hyper V virtual machines with Server 2016.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've not found that many applications that ran in Windows 7 that won't run in Windows 10. Usually the 32bit ones that I end up using VMs for, and you can always spin up a Windows 10 32bit if you really have to. (Still can't believe Micosoft made that a thing, not actually seen a Win 10 32 bit in the wild)

A lot of applications from the XP era were more tricky because they had no programming for UAC found in Vista and up, but they were pretty easy to use compatibility modes on (usually run as administrator, or a run as highest/elevate create process shim)

USAFRet

Titan

My little Asus Transformer T100T, 2GB RAM on an Atom CPU is running Win 10 32bit.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Interesting, i'll have to check my Atom Thinkcentre 300 and see.

USAFRet

Titan

It originally came with Win 8.1, but upgraded just fine.
I4yXLqm.png