Which way is pull and which way is push?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andr850g

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Hello People. So... I´m a little confused about fans.
So when the fan without the thing in front of it, like on the picture is active, is it blowing air in to the computer or out of the computer. The only thing that would make sense to me is if it is blowing air in to the computer... Im kinda confused because i've seen videos and stuff where they are saying the opposite, or am i just dumb?
https://gyazo.com/67d31403f821b5691e0ecfa8ce790404

Thanks in advance

Solution
the problem with fans is that in theory, they can turn either way. clockwise or counter clockwise.
in addition to that, the orientation of the fins, combined with direction they rotate at, cause air to go either way.

from the image you link to, if the fan is going clockwise, then yes, the air is going towards the direction arrow points at.
if counter clockwise, the opposite direction.

Pull direction refers to the side where fan sucks in the air and push is is the side where it's pushed out.
pretty much all case fans can be installed either way and as such work as exhaust or intake fans depending on the orientation you install them in.

when in doubt, test it, turn computer on, check which way it blows and install accordingly.

Edit...
the problem with fans is that in theory, they can turn either way. clockwise or counter clockwise.
in addition to that, the orientation of the fins, combined with direction they rotate at, cause air to go either way.

from the image you link to, if the fan is going clockwise, then yes, the air is going towards the direction arrow points at.
if counter clockwise, the opposite direction.

Pull direction refers to the side where fan sucks in the air and push is is the side where it's pushed out.
pretty much all case fans can be installed either way and as such work as exhaust or intake fans depending on the orientation you install them in.

when in doubt, test it, turn computer on, check which way it blows and install accordingly.

Edit, looking at the image, I would say that the fan would turn counter clockwise and pull the air in. (orientation of the fins makes me think this) and thus in opposite direction than the arrow points at.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah that dos seem a bit opposite of what you'd think would happen. i just plug it in and feel for where the air is blowing. then mount accordingly :)

but in general, the label on the fan does seem to be opposite of where the air is blowing unlike the picture you linked

It is not clear to me from the picture which way the fan sends air.
Usually, there will be an arrow on the fan case showing the direction.
You can confirm the airflow direction by dangling a tissue in front of the operating fan.

You want fans to draw in fresh air from the front. I suppose you could call this either pull or push.

Push usually refers to a cpu cooler fan that is pushing air through the cooler towards the rear of the case.
Pull will refer to when the fan is mounted on the opposite side and is drawing air through the cooler.

USAFRet

Titan
In general, the side with the label is where the air will come out.

For absolute knowledge, plug it in.
Do NOT rely on your skin to determine which way it is blowing. Very unreliable, especially at low RPM.
A piece of tissue paper will tell you 100%.

Reactions: PEnns

andr850g

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

You guys are so nice, thank you very much! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.