[SOLVED] Which Wi-Fi card should I choose for my desktop

aryeh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Hello,
I have a Dell Precision Tower 5810 and would like to add a Wi-Fi card since it is too far from the router to run a wire.
The router I have is a NETGEAR | WNDR3700v4 | N600 WiFi Router.
I have found this Ubit AC 1200Mbps Bluetooth WiFi Card which looks like it is what I want (either of the three versions).

Is this compatible with my devices?
Can anyone advise a specific product that will work with my desktop?

Many thanks in advance,
Aryeh

aryeh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
any USB WiFi Wireless networking adapter should be fine.
no need for a PCIe card.
I would prefer not to use up a USB port for something like this. Adding BT is also a nice addition.

My general recommendation is to purchase a wireless adapter that matches the router; i.e., Netgear.

Otherwise, if there are problems the competing manufacturer's will just blame the "other guy".
How do I check it matches the router? NETGEAR don't make Wi-Fi adapters. What should I look out for to check if it is compatible?

I would prefer not to use up a USB port for something like this
i used a TP-Link PCIe wireless card for quite a few years long ago before WiFi & Bluetooth became pretty much standard on nicer motherboards.
i've had good experiences with all of their products that i've tried.
The tiny nano USB things are to be avoided.
still have a pretty old TP-Link Archer Nano USB connected to one of my systems that works great after 4-5 years.
it's located on the other side of the house from the router and has no problem connecting & staying connected.

what is it that makes them a bad option in general?

aryeh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
So I went for a wireless TP-Link in the end which works like a charm.
Decided that whilst it was recommended to go for the same make as the router the TP-Link was a quarter of the price so I'll start with that and if anything goes wrong I'll get the NetGear one.

Thank you all for the advice.
Aryeh