Which would be better?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
2.4-2.6 on RAMBUS, on ddr its another story.

It is not easy to get a 1.6a to reach 2.4ghz, ask fatburger.

The debate comes down to if you think you will be able to hit 2.4, if not, the amd is the best buy. Hopw you get lucky with the rdram.

Also, the new mobo now and reuse the tbird you have strategy sounds like the best bet to me, you will have a boost in performance today, and room to get the ULTRA overclock tomorow.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
I think their is a lot of spanking (ie. spanking the monkey) going on when your and your P4 are alone together.
Lol. couldn't resist that one.
You BS your people, I will BS my people, but let's not BS each other (or anyone else on THG). There's no big reason (right now anyway) to buy one over the other. Performance is within 5-10% and price is not much of a factor anymore either. It's more personal preference now. New m/b's will most likey be required for the next big upgrade too. T-bred will run cooler(more Mhz) and keep up with the P4 as it speed increases but the next big thing is Hammer at the end of this year. That will be the next big difference between AMD and Intel. Tweaking a CPU is fine but I don't see anybody "spanking" the other at this time.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm doing my research... If i can hit 2.4+ i will go with it. just for a change. I haven't bought Intel for quite a long time. :)

<font color=red>DO NOT LIGHT YOURSELF ON FIRE</font color=red>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Consider the following

P4 1.6a $139
Abit Th7-II w/RAID $159
Samsung RDR $70x2 256MB
Gainward GF4 750/Ultra GS $379
Enermax 431 PSU since your going with raid. unless you already have a beefy PSU with your AMD.

With watercooling you will be able to hit 2.4Ghz, prove me wrong and hit higher.

DDR does not perform as well as RDR, it costs about the same.

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Fugger i would go for the DDR 333 combo on this one. The SiS 645 can match i850 in benchmarks.

THGC, saving 1 pc user from buying a GeForce4 MX at a time.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Buy either one. Who really cares? Just don't buy too much of the hype. If you listen to Raystonn and Fugger, EVERYONE is hitting 2.5 Ghz - 2.6 Ghz or higher. I'm not seeing it.

Face the facts, they're both comparable. You will however have to apparently do a crap load of tweaking to get the 1.6a to perform, but once done I don't think anyone can complain about it all. I'm watching Fatburgers progress. He's at 2.4 Ghz. See if he can go higher. Better yet, just wait for the T-bred and the 133 Mhz FSB Northwoods and hopefully you won't have to jump through all these hoops. It will probably be a lot easier to decide. You've got a couple months right?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I agree with dh, spot on. I have made the points for both sides, its up to griz to choose based on personal preference.

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
ALso, I would stay away from RDR. It does perform better but Intel is dropping support for it.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
60GXP bad.........if you are going to get IBM, only way to go is with the 120 GXPs......

go with the 80 gigs, and promise's new raid card coming out is a thing of beauty....Raid 5 baby....

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, Grizely, if you really want to try to get to 2.4GHz or above with a 1.6A P4 then there are really only two motherboards you can choose from:

For RDRAM, the best overclocking motherboard is the Abit TH7-II. For DDR RAM, is the ABit BD7. THe BD7 is based on the 845D chipset. Either one of these motherboards seemingly lock the PCI bus to 33MHz to allow you to get to higher FSB speeds. However, if you do decide to get a BD7, do get PC2700 DDR RAM so that you can easily overclock it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well see, the only thing I am worried about is bumping my FSB up to 155. Don't the RDRAM boards keep the 1/2 AGP bus and 1/3 PCI bus after 133 and don't change?? Which would mean the AGP bus would be 78MHz, and the PCI 39MHz.... that's a little over the normal speeds for me. But this may not be true with the ABit TH7-IIR... Does anyone have an answer for me?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The reason I believe I would be able to get to 2.4, possibly higher, is because, well people are hitting 2.4 and higher WITH AIR COOLING. My watercooler is a far better heat dissapater than any heatsink.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well the reason I was going to get a 40GB 60GXP is cause I already have one right now. Then i'd have two. I love them, they're fast and quiet and reliable. I really don't want to spend more $$$ on different drives.... :/

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
(read my first post in this line of posts, heh)

does this mean the RAMBUS abit board would keep the 33/66 pci/agp buses even at a 155 mhz fsb, or even higher fsb?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The reason I believe I would be able to get to 2.4, possibly higher, is because, well people are hitting 2.4 and higher WITH AIR COOLING. My watercooler is a far better heat dissapater than any heatsink.

THe limiting factor of your overclock will NOT be the cpu, it WILL be the ram, at 133fsb your ram will be at x3, and for every mhz you go over 133, your ram speed goes up 3. You will hit the limit of your rdram WAY before you hit the limit of your chip.

So you can get whatever speed you were going to anyways with an aircooler as opposed to your watercooler simply because your bottleneck will NOT be the cpu.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hey grizz, if u want a nice mobo i suggest the epox kt333 based chipset, combined with corsair XMS2700 cas2 ram and an unlocked XP2000+ should do you nicely

also, a word of warning, it seems some northwood 1.6A's dont seem to be able to get above 2.2Ghz, regardless of mobo/mem combo.
500mhz is nice, but dont automatically expect a magical 2.6ghz like what-his-name.

"I came, I saw, I overclocked", Julius 'Smokin CPU' Caesar :smile:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
also, a word of warning, it seems some northwood 1.6A's dont seem to be able to get above 2.2Ghz, regardless of mobo/mem combo.
Grizely has a water-cooling system and therefore I think 2.5~2.6GHz is practically guaranteed if the RAM can handle it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Actually no, amd_man, there are duds out there which top out around 2.2 period.

Think about it, its a 600mhz overclock!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
My first system was a 486DX 33MHz, lol. I don't have it anymore.

FatBurger

Illustrious
(I'm replying to AMD_Man simply because his is the last post.)

First off, Intel is <b><i>NOT</i></b> dropping RDRAM (unless it just hasn't been announced yet). This has been talked over in the Memory section and in other forums, head there if you want more info.

Second, I'm at 2.48741MHz with this post. That's a 155MHz FSB, with the RAM running at 3/4 speed. That puts my RAM about 5% under PC1066 speeds. My original goal for this system was 133MHz with full speed RAM. I've got my RAM at that, and my CPU a decent amount higher. That's only based on Sandra benchmarks, BTW.

Sandra benchmarks are always posted in my thread in the CPU overclocking section, when I find the ceiling I'll test for stability and post several benchmarks.

I might grab one of the new socket 478 Alphas, but it's kind of nice having an overclock with the retail heatsink, even though it's lower :tongue:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Have you been running under full load and testing it in practice as well as benchmarking it? I find that to be the true test.

You're so close to 2.5 Ghz...you must be able to taste it!

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
another reason I wanted to go with a Socket478 board is so later on I could get a 2.2A or higher and go to 3+ Ghz :)