[SOLVED] Whining About Coil Whine

Raging_Vampire

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
Hi all!
OK, so I've recently spent a truck-load upgrading my PC for a variety of reasons but including the fact I was experiencing a fair amount of coil whine with my (then) Aorus RX580. I've upgraded the mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU. I now run i5-9600K, an Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi mobo, 32Gb of Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3200 with a Gigabyte Windfoce OC RTX 2070 Super. About the only thing not changed is my corsair 750W PSU which is ageing (I think it's about 6 years old) but still does the job. Guess what? I'm still getting a sh*t load of coil whine! It is by far the loudest sound coming from my PC case and on quiet games it's about all I can hear.

From my research there's not really alot you can do about it. I'm loathed to RMA the card as there could be some common factor between the two setups. I gather PSUs can cause / make the situation worse but there doesn't seem to be any consensus on this. Can anyone recommend a good PSU with the smoothes power supply delivery at about 750W? I currently use a Cooler Master HAF 932 case which isn't exactly soundproof so I could replace that as well. I have a nice surround system and I really don't want to use headphones!

Anyway, keen to see what the citizens of the internet think. Let me know!

R_V

Solution
Not sure you need 750W, but there are a lot of Corsair power supplies, you might actually have a decent one.

If the PSU was outputing serious ripples on 12V, well that would be a problem, but you need an oscilloscope to measure that. That said, not sure that would create a lot of additional coil whine. Usually directly related to FPS from what I have seen. If your quieter games don't require 100+ FPS, set it to 60hz and V-sync, see if that helps.

If you still want to replace it for piece of mind:

Corsair RM 2019
EVGA SuperNova G3
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold

On the more extreme side:

Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
EVGA SuperNova P2
Corsar HX Platinum (As I recall just barely misses Titanium spec)

And if you hate money. Corsair's AX and...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure you need 750W, but there are a lot of Corsair power supplies, you might actually have a decent one.

If the PSU was outputing serious ripples on 12V, well that would be a problem, but you need an oscilloscope to measure that. That said, not sure that would create a lot of additional coil whine. Usually directly related to FPS from what I have seen. If your quieter games don't require 100+ FPS, set it to 60hz and V-sync, see if that helps.

If you still want to replace it for piece of mind:

Corsair RM 2019
EVGA SuperNova G3
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold

On the more extreme side:

Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
EVGA SuperNova P2
Corsar HX Platinum (As I recall just barely misses Titanium spec)

And if you hate money. Corsair's AX and AXi series are still pretty well respected.

Solution

Raging_Vampire

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
To be specific, the PSU is a Corsair RM750 but it was bought back in 2014 so it's probably getting on a bit. I'm just trying to think of common causal factors beyond being unlucky enough to get two consecutive cards that have bad coil whine, and I read that poor PSU can cause / exacerbate this situation.