White House May Step In for Cybersecurity

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Welcome to the New World Order.

Keep buying into the governments lies to gain control.

2009 = 1984

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Why don't they just worry about keeping their stuff safe and let me worry about keeping my stuff safe? Why do they need to "take control?"

Well, that's a rhetorical question. We all know our beloved government seems to want to control everything. Their faux pas of lack of security is just an excuse to overstep their boundries of internet regulation. Yay.

Amendment 28: What you can and cannot say/do on the internet.

You worry about yourself. I'll worry about myself. We have plenty of private security/firewall/anti-virus companies that offer their services to keep me safe. They're much more efficient at it than you, the government, will ever be.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but when I hear the government say they need to step in on the internet, nothing good will come of it.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
That what you get when you have a more extreme Democrat in office. They want to provide for everyone, even if they don't need to be provided for, and even if there are more efficient manners to do so.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
No surprise here. Now for your daily conspiracy theory report:

Noticed how all of sudden for about the last, oh we'll say month or so, a lot of news and stories about "hackers" and/or cyberspies doing this and that. Now we those morons in Washington calling for more government intervention i.e. money. Seems like someone wants a nice chunk of that supposed free money the government is starting to hand out.

G

Looks like the government has been upgrading their knowledge on the internet. I miss the days when they thought it was just a series of tubes :(

Want to prevent hackers from stealing secrets? Stop connecting the systems to the INTERNET, which was never MADE for security.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i agree, want people not to steal your trade secrets over the internet, then dont connect them to the internet. dont let people copy them to thumb drives, dont have usb ports exposed. have them in locked them, monitored computers. have them encypted with password and hardware password key card. ect

researchthis

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Isn't this the same White House that decided to keep using Blackberries against recommendations from every security expert? Yeah, I feel very safe now.

For those saying that they shouldn't use the internet, that's what the last administration did, but OH YEAH, people thought that meant they were "out of touch" and "incompetent". *sigh*

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
It's just the democrats wanting a larger government that can "provide" for everybody, which not everybody needs...

They need to worry about their own problems, like getting hacked and losing terabytes of data. how does that happen? ... seriously, they need to stop trying to "gain control" and they need to stop interfering with our lives IMO. LOL

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Well, I think what their saying is that the White House should step in for government internet security. So really, they should just have the NSA step their game up. They won't have the White House controling domestic internet. Remember, there was an article not to long ago saying some congressmen wanted Obama to have control over content on the internet. I think he is smarter than that, if you notice, he isn't as left-side as he orginally wanted to be. To many American's would get pissed, and his program approval ratings are beginning to loss ground anyway.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
...would see the NSA take care of protecting military and intelligence networks while the Department of Homeland Security protected government networks.

Where did they it say they were taking control of the nation's internet? This is about keeping THEIR OWN networks safe.

The WSJ countered this with the fact that at no point did they report that the stolen information was classified.

Um, yeah, cuz information pertaining to a government's 300 billion dollar fighter plane project wouldn't be classified.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
You're all retarded. Learn to read the article and comprehend the information you just read! Didn't any of you get past elementary school?

Congrats to greliu and jecht though for at least showing intelligence.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]You're all retarded. Learn to read the article and comprehend the information you just read! Didn't any of you get past elementary school?Congrats to greliu and jecht though for at least showing intelligence.[/citation]

Did you read the article about the bill the would let Obama "Shut Down" the internet?

lordfisch

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I think people need to calm down about this JSF info leak. The government (and its contractors, especially the ones allowed to build $300B programs) know the difference between classified and unclassified information, and they know how to handle the security of each. If certain information is being kept on unclassified systems, that means it's not fundamentally damaging to the country's security. It's unfortunate some unclassified systems were hacked into, and the information stolen was very probably proprietary and the contractors wouldn't want outsiders seeing it (for business reasons), but any information deemed classified (or higher) is on systems that aren't on the network we call the Internet.

G

they seem to have a bad habit of revealing if sensitive information was leaked. we spend billions and billions and then people just steal it in one swoop, then claim it is their own home grown technology and that there is no such thing as hackers today. stop being so naive and defend sensitive information with everything you got or you will pay the price in the future.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Well, how are you democrats liking change now? Only saving grace for Obama is if Osama is caught under his watch. The economy stinks right now but that single thing would override any angst anyone had. Everyone knows that the economy will bounce back, they just have a problem coping right now. That's not for the president to fix that is for us to fix.

For the people who hate this "government is taking over", well, live with it because you are weak and you can't do anything about. Why? Because the time you could be doing something is a time you are away from myspace, facebook, twitter and every other stupid thing that America has got caught up in and you can't have that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.