Question White Light on ASUS GPU

Jun 18, 2019
I recently bought a used ASUS DUAL GTX GeForce 1070 8GB for my most recent build. Just to make sure I actually got what was advertised, I tried to plug it into my existing build. However, my 450W PSU did not have the required 8 pin PCI-E connector to power it. But when I did plug in my 6 pin connector, a white led on the back of the card lit up. I didn't think much about it, saying "maybe it lights up to indicate it's on?" or " it probably doesn't have enough power"

But now I'm worried, I just took it over to my friend's house where we temporarily installed the GPU into his computer which has a 650W power supply. And once again, the white LED lit up. However, this time the computer would not boot/show an image. and the monitor shut off saying that there was no input.

I've tried my darndest to figure out what the white light means, and why my GPU is preventing my friend's computer from booting/showing images. But there doesn't seem to be a lot about this on the internet, and there isn't any info about it in the manual or installation guide. Some people have had the same problem with other 1070 cards and it ended up being a power problem, but now I am uncertain due to the fact that I powered it with a PSU that should have been able to handle it.

Does anyone know what the constant white LED light on the back of my GPU means?

thanks in advance!

Your GPU requires a SINGLE 8-pin PCI-E connector, and if your power supply lacks the sufficient cables, then it was not meant to power high-end GPUs. What's the exact make and model number of your 450W PSU ?? Using 6-pin cable is not recommended. Which 6-pin cable did you connect ?

Is the card having some backup BIOS switch of some sort ?

Last edited:
Thermaltake TR2 430W ATX 12 V2.3 Power Supply W0070RU-04 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009Q56N6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OSqcDb2WS81XK

That's a very poor quality budget PSU. It might even cause damage to the GPU, and other components, if used in a long run.

Please AVOID using this power supply. Most of the Thermaltake TR2 series power supplies are of VERY poor/inferior quality, and they all have had bad reputation in the past as well. Don't ask why, but I've read many horror stories regrading this TR2 Model.

Not recommended for GAMING PCs. Replace this PSU ASAP. That's a very low-end TIER power supply. PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Reactions: david slayer

TRENDING THREADS