Question White VGA LED on ASUS B650 plus Wi-Fi motherboard, but PC still works perfectly fine.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
The white vga light keeps coming on, but the PC still works fine.
Specs:
CPU: 7700x
GPU RX 6800
MOBO ASUS B650 plus Wi-Fi
PSU: thermaltake smart 700w
RAM: 32GB of DDR5 6000
I tried updating the drivers (without DDU) and the problem still persisted, also the LED Radeon logo turns off sometimes. I will be going to school soon and I don’t have time to use DDU right now and I noticed the light last night and when I restarted the system, I noticed it was back on when I woke up this morning. I don’t think there is an actual problem here because the PC still works, however I will mention that sometimes the monitor gives no signal, but restarting the computer fixes it.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Yeah this shouldn't be anywhere near a PC. You might want to source a different PSU, one that's reliably built, and see if the issue persists.
I am unsure about the bios version, however I know that it was up to date towards the end of July which means it is not updated. I don’t want to update the bios if I don’t have to because the power (I live in a rural area) is sometimes (rarely but sometimes it just goes out) unreliable, and I don’t really want to chance it. I also don’t want really want to change the PSU because decent PSUs are kind of expensive. I will try using DDU when I get home from school and see if that helps.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
. I also don’t want really want to change the PSU because decent PSUs are kind of expensive.

I also didn't want to replace my roof last winter because roofs are kind of expensive. But $15,000 for a roof was a lot cheaper than the $50,000 (or more) for structural damage that not replacing the roof would likely have cost me at some point.

Sometimes, you gotta spend something to keep from something worse from happening. You're using a cheap, junky group-regulated PSU on quality equipment, and in general, there's nothing more expensive in a PC than a cheap PSU.

And this is an extremely troubling build as a result. You spent all the money on the fun parts and left out the money for the important part. A few weeks ago, you asked what the most unbalanced PC we've ever seen is. *This* is one of them. It's a bit like encountering a high-end sports car on the highway with a trash bag for a window.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I also didn't want to replace my roof last winter because roofs are kind of expensive. But $15,000 for a roof was a lot cheaper than the $50,000 (or more) for structural damage that not replacing the roof would likely have cost me at some point.

Sometimes, you gotta spend something to keep from something worse from happening. You're using a cheap, junky group-regulated PSU on quality equipment, and in general, there's nothing more expensive in a PC than a cheap PSU.

And this is an extremely troubling build as a result. You spent all the money on the fun parts and left out the money for the important part. A few weeks ago, you asked what the most unbalanced PC we've ever seen is. *This* is one of them. It's a bit like encountering a high-end sports car on the highway with a trash bag for a window.
Great analogy btw. I get your point, My friend has an older (IDK how old, but it can't be more than 5 years old) but quality 650W PSU (I also don't know the brand, but I do know that this person would not be the type to skimp on a PSU) that he doesn't use anymore that he would be willing to give to me. My question is, would a decent 650W PSU still provide enough power to power the components in my system?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Great analogy btw. I get your point, My friend has an older (IDK how old, but it can't be more than 5 years old) but quality 650W PSU (I also don't know the brand, but I do know that this person would not be the type to skimp on a PSU) that he doesn't use anymore that he would be willing to give to me. My question is, would a decent 650W PSU still provide enough power to power the components in my system?

Yes. You should ask what it is, though; in my experience a lot of people think they have good PSUs but actually don't. Cross-reference it with the tier list in the power supplies forum or elsewhere.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Yes. You should ask what it is, though; in my experience a lot of people think they have good PSUs but actually don't. Cross-reference it with the tier list in the power supplies forum or elsewhere.
I tried DDU and that didn’t work, then I tried undervolting the GPU and that seemed to work. The weird thing is that it takes a while before the light lights up even sitting idle on the desktop. It doesn’t happen during games.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I contacted the seller of the PC and they said that they always use that psu if they need a 700w psu. They also said that they haven’t had any issues with it. It does come with a 5 year warranty though. They also said that they guarantee that the psu is not the issue, but how do I prove that it is?

USAFRet

Titan
The seller suggested shorting the pins to reset the bios, do you think this would help? I don’t have another PSU I can use right now.
I have no idea if that would "fix" whatever problem seems to be happening.
What does the motherboard manual say about that LED?

You've already been informed that the PSU in question is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I have no idea if that would "fix" whatever problem seems to be happening.
What does the motherboard manual say about that LED?

You've already been informed that the PSU in question is a dumpster fire waiting to happen.
the manual doesn't say much other than the light indicates the probable cause of the problem. I should also mention that the issue only happens when the pc is idle and the monitor is turned off, however upon turning on the monitor no signal is detected and when the PC is restarted occasionally the VGA light will be on preventing the system from booting so I don't think it is a monitor problem. I would like to get a new PSU, but I don't know how to justify it to my parents because I just spent $1500 on this pc 2 months ago.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I contacted the seller of the PC and they said that they always use that psu if they need a 700w psu. They also said that they haven’t had any issues with it. It does come with a 5 year warranty though. They also said that they guarantee that the psu is not the issue, but how do I prove that it is?

It needs to be replaced under any and all circumstances. I wouldn't trust any builder that puts in cheap junk, designed for PCs for 20 years ago, in an expensive rig. You can keep asking the same question, but the answers aren't going to suddenly change into something you prefer. When there are awkward problems with a GPU or any kind of power situation, you need to remove any junk PSUs from the mix.

You say you have a warranty on the PC. Call the builder and let them deal with the problem. If they don't, then the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on. And if you're referring to the Thermaltake warranty for the PSU itself, in most cases, a system integrator's warranty replaces the OEM's warranty unless the OEM decides to honor it anyway. And all that gets you is a replacement junk SMART PSU.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I understand that the PSU in this build is absolute garbage, and I am planning to replace it (I don’t know with what yet) soon, however I did “fix” the issue by uninstalling the drivers again (with DDU) and installing the 23.10.1 drivers. I know I fixed it because the light comes on consistently after 10 minutes or so of the monitor being off and the PC being idle.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I have been having a different issue where the CPU light comes on and the PC doesn't boot. I am planning on replacing the PSU, but what happens if my parents don't let me buy a new one? Also would updating the bios help?

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Yeah this shouldn't be anywhere near a PC. You might want to source a different PSU, one that's reliably built, and see if the issue persists.
Bios version is 1616. do you think updating the BIOS would help? the weird thing is that the issue only happens when the PC is idle, the monitor is off, and occasionally when booting. I have trouble understanding how the PSU as bad as it is can be the problem when the PC is barely drawing any power sitting idle on the desktop.