News Who can it be now? How to Build a Raspberry Pi Doorbell that Recognizes Friends

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, I don't want just a text-to-speech "hello there" . . I would totally need it to be a scary, metallic voice saying "HALT AND IDENTIFY" to whomever shows up at the door.

Because... uh... reasons!

USAFRet

Titan
Well, I don't want just a text-to-speech "hello there" . . I would totally need it to be a scary, metallic voice saying "HALT AND IDENTIFY" to whomever shows up at the door.

Because... uh... reasons!
For that, you just need motion detection.

"HALT! Enter your passcode on the keypad, or turn around and leave. You have 10 seconds to comply."

Of course, the sensor needs to be very robust and focused.
Any passing cat or rabbit might trigger it.

Sep 19, 2021
You may wish to add a disclaimer that some states (such as Illinois) have biometric privacy laws that would make collecting the data for this system without the subject first opting in illegal.

This is why Nest does not have this feature enabled for users in some states.

USAFRet

Titan
You may wish to add a disclaimer that some states (such as Illinois) have biometric privacy laws that would make collecting the data for this system without the subject first opting in illegal.

This is why Nest does not have this feature enabled for users in some states.
Not disputing your comment, but what specific law or regulation speaks to this?

Sep 19, 2021
Not disputing your comment, but what specific law or regulation speaks to this?
For Illinois specifically, the Biometric Information Privacy Act of 2008 is the law preventing the collection of facial recognition data. I'm not sure of any specific criminal damages relating to small operations, but I personally got a sizeable settlement from when I worked at Walmart and wasn't given an opt out from biometric login on the cash recycler machines.

USAFRet

Titan
For Illinois specifically, the Biometric Information Privacy Act of 2008 is the law preventing the collection of facial recognition data. I'm not sure of any specific criminal damages relating to small operations, but I personally got a sizeable settlement from when I worked at Walmart and wasn't given an opt out from biometric login on the cash recycler machines.
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3004&ChapterID=57

Doesn't seem to 'prevent the collection'.

The subject must be notified and agree.

So in this context, these are your 'friends'.
"Hey, Fred, sign this and my my door will automaticaly see and know you, and open upon seeing your face."

Anyone "Not Fred" is not recognized or saved. As such, presumably not afoul of the regulation.

colson8

Reputable
Dec 15, 2017
I couldn't get this to work at first because there was one omission from this tutorial that stumped me and is going to stump others that are new to Linux projects like this, and that is the fact that you have to run the doorbell program to have it do anything. Thankfully I found another tutorial posted that was pretty much identical to this one but it added in the last step. You need to run "make run" (no quotes) in the "facial_recognition_doorbell" directory to start the magic. After doing that, it works great!

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/raspberry-pi-person-detecting-doorbell

I do have an issue though and that's how to power the wyze cam when you have no power outlets on your front porch and the wife is VERY much against drilling holes in the house.
I need a WiFi, battery operated, RTSP capable, 1080p or better camera that won't cost an arm, leg, fingers toes...you get the idea. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: