[SOLVED] Who carries what?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I am on Verizon. I look at old articles that say certain phones work on certain carriers. I also see old articles that Verizon is changing from the old networks that used to limit phone options. Can anyone tell me more about this? I've needed a new phone for about six years and can't find any I like. When I do, I often find out the don't work on Verizon. Thanks for any info.

Solution
Can't determine if that phone would work seeing as how it doesn't exist yet?
At least as far as GSMArena and PhoneArena are concerned.

As far as I know, Verizon still uses certain 3G frequencies for certain underlying features of their services, so while any phone that is unlocked will work for the most part on their network, any underlying feature that requires use of said specific frequency on the 3G band won't work properly.

The frequency is 800MHz on 3G. (for CMDA)
(Most unlocked/GMS/International phones only support the 850MHz band instead because Verizon is a b-word like that and did this on purpose)

If a phone doesn't have support for that frequency, then it won't 100% work on the network, but will still work in regards to...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Can't determine if that phone would work seeing as how it doesn't exist yet?
At least as far as GSMArena and PhoneArena are concerned.

As far as I know, Verizon still uses certain 3G frequencies for certain underlying features of their services, so while any phone that is unlocked will work for the most part on their network, any underlying feature that requires use of said specific frequency on the 3G band won't work properly.

The frequency is 800MHz on 3G. (for CMDA)
(Most unlocked/GMS/International phones only support the 850MHz band instead because Verizon is a b-word like that and did this on purpose)

If a phone doesn't have support for that frequency, then it won't 100% work on the network, but will still work in regards to phone calls, SMS, MMS, and 4GLTE things as long is supports the necessary other frequencies for that (which most do).

Best thing to do when looking at different phones, is (in the event it's not a Verizon model) go to either GSMArena.com or PhoneArena.com and look at the specs of the specific device (when looking at a phone, you have options to look at the different carrier/unlocked model numbers) and cross check the supported frequencies with that of what is required for Verizon's network.

Verizon's network is the following.
3G CDMA 800, 1900 PCS (frequencies)
4G (LTE) Main bands 2, 4, 13, 66
4G (LTE) Secondary additional bands (note absolutely necessary but good to have support for some of these too)
5, 46, 48
Frequencies used by Verizon for their 4G (LTE) services
1900MHz (Band 2)
1700MHz AWS-1 (Band4)
1700MHz Extended AWS (Band 66)
850MHz CLR (Band 5)
700MHz C (Band 13)

Making sure the phone you decide to get supports the main bulk is important for 4G LTE
1900MHz (Band 2)
1700MHz (Band 4, 66)
700MHz (Band 13)

850MHz (Band5) is used very little and you can for the most part live without it, but if the phone supports it great.

Having support for all the other things is great to have if you want it to properly support services that are on the 3G band, but you can get by without them.

So again, keep in mind just the main important bulk of needed bands and frequencies, then cross check that with what the phone supports using either website.

https://gsmarena.com

https://phonearena.com

Reactions: axlrose
Solution
I saw a while back verison was moving to voice over lte and away from CDMA. Not sure if this figured it out this time there have been a number of attempt to run over LTE and they decided it did not work well enough to roll out.

Even if they do this the phone would have to support it. This is mostly software so it should not be as limiting a issue as having a CDMA chip in the phone.

Still as indicated in the above post it is much much more complex than just gsm vs cdma. There are mulitple LTE bands and not all phone will run on all bands. Not sure why when some phone support all of them. I suspect this is still part of the scam related to carrier locked phones. They could make phones that support all radio bands but they choose to limit the radio. I can't see it being a cost thing since it is the same chip in most devices and it can be set when it is manufactured.

This takes very careful reading of the spec sheets.

Reactions: axlrose

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
My best suggestion is to just get a one or even two generation old "used" Verizon model phone on the second hand market.

I personally bought the Verizon model of the LG V30 about 1.5 years after it's initial release and have been using it since.
I bought it like new condition from a guy who took very good care of it and I paid $200 cash for it in person (so that I was able to test the phone out and pop my SIM card in to ensure that it worked as intended)

Keep in mind, the phone released only 1.5 years prior to my purchasing it for a whopping $850 because it is a flagship device.

I got lucky with the price, but even $400 would've been a hell of a deal considering the original price and the age and condition of it.