[SOLVED] Who do Freesync, Gsync or even Vsync exist? Wouldn't limiting your framerate to your monitor's refresh rate be much easier?

hassan.kassir002

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I want to ask you something that has been annoying me for a while now. According to my understanding, the framerate being higher than your monitor's refresh rate would cause screen tearing. So Vsync is made to make your framerate be in sync with your monitor's refresh rate, but it caused input lag so they developed Gsync and Freesync. What I want to ask is, Why the heck did they make Vsync in the first place? Why isn't there an option where you would right click on the desktop, click Nvidia/AMD settings, and then appears a box where you input your monitor's refresh rate and your computer's framerate no longer exceeds the number you typed no matter what game you play? Wouldn't this option be much much MUCH easier than Vsync and Gsync? With this option, you could sync your framerate with your refresh rate using any display no matter if it was CRT, TV or a monitor. You would also need no special settings in a game to enbale syncing, this method would work with the oldest video game. Why doesn't this option exist? Is there a reason why? Do you think they will add it in the future? Thanks.

Solution
Limiting your framerate doesn't synchronize it to the display. Tearing can still occur unless the frame finishes and the buffer swap is performed during the exact moment when the previous frame is finished being sent to the display, during the vertical blanking interval between frames.
Limiting your framerate doesn't synchronize it to the display. Tearing can still occur unless the frame finishes and the buffer swap is performed during the exact moment when the previous frame is finished being sent to the display, during the vertical blanking interval between frames.

Solution