Who Needs PC When You Can Have Xbox One at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Or I can spend $400 amd get an A10 powered laptop and it will do Skype and Skydrive. It also has a monitor for when I dont have a projector or monitor handy.

PedanticNo1

Honorable
May 3, 2013
There are still companies have difficulty moving away from XP and other antiquated bits of PC software. What makes MS think this will be widely adopted?

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Or, I could just take the desktop/laptop's we already have, and tack on a 1080p camera with a wide angle lense for like 50-75$? maybe a hundred if I really wanted top end quality.

Install skypes crappy video service for free, and only be out a 1/6-1/5th of the consoles price, without the worry of my employees playing halo 7 at work.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
with powerpoint support, I can see this as a viable device for conference/presentation rooms. but I still wouldnt choose this over a pc in a business i might own. theres often last minute fixing to do in a presentation and website maneuvering that would be difficult with a kinect. as for skype, the kinect can be handy in a conference room, but its way too bulky to have lying around in an office.

still, I believe this wont have near the amount of success in businesses as microsoft expects. the great most of the businesses Ive visited would prefer to buy a cheap laptop/desktop at walmart and a powerpoint clicker because they do enough and they are easy to work with. in a conference room NOONE likes to have to deal with a learning curve, especially on the presentation device. not to mention getting used to the kinect and holding yourself from flailing your arms around like most people do in presentations. theres also the lack of variety in the console. some people dont use skype and skydrive, and were unsure as to exactly how many developers are going to use this console. and microsoft isnt exactly on the best of terms with google.

Id still reserve my full judgement for when/if I have the opportunity to use the kinect in a conference. or at least see it.

3ogdy

Distinguished
After possibly having seen the amount of PS4 pre-orders, Microsoft is probably trying to push XB1 into other markets - like businesses, because they'll need to get their money from somewhere. The thing is, I highly doubt any businessman will consider integrating Xbox ONE in their conference sessions and all that. Like others have already said, you need conference & presentation tools? PC+WebCam+Powerpoint - they are supposed to have PCs and Powerpoint already so they'd only need to buy a wide-angle / high-res Webcam and use it.
I doubt Xbox ONE will ever beat webcam prices - even if we were to talk about premium hardware.
With their product being painfully rejected in the gaming world(Skype being monitored by the NSA? Not having the ability to turn the freaking camera off? Other limitations that I'm supposed to pay for...), their crappy product will also be highly rejected (not even considered, actually) in the business area.
Moreover - what kind of business image would you portray for your company when using a gaming console/media center as a communication device?
Don't get me wrong, but a desktop computer will ALWAYS look more professional - and I think that's what serious companies are after.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the "Let's play!" attitude Microsoft is all about (Windows h8 being among the products that puts play above work) will only hurt Microsoft's sale-figures in professional areas.

halcyon

Splendid
This might work for a very small business or one just starting out but just the fact that its primary use is for gaming hurts how it is perceived for other markets.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Why not just dual boot this into WIndows 8 and run all your apps. Then eveyone in the office can frag each other when the Boss is out! Comeon Microsoft get with it! Just make the Xbox something like Apple Macs... Geeze Hello?!

Greybush

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
If you do business on a game console, don't expect to actually get business.This is yet another pathetic attempt by Microsoft to widen there customer base.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
The criticism here confounds me a bit. Yes, a large IT company will not likely adopt an X1 for teleconferencing. However, I can certainly see a smaller company adopting it as a dedicated machine. First, MOST computers a company buys are not the budget-line machines us consumers buy... They pay a premium for (slightly) better specs, (slightly) better built components, but mostly SUPPORT. Second, as a small company you would want to look cutting edge, "hip". Sounds lame, but many small businesses win customers by being responsive/agile and selling that "next generation" mentality. I can actually see this impressing people, aside from being useful.

But they don't need to. There is really no reason for that and no benefit of using a gaming console.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Or I can spend $400 amd get an A10 powered laptop and it will do Skype and Skydrive. It also has a monitor for when I dont have a projector or monitor handy.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I haven't found Skype to be a business class application. It pales in comparison to h.232 video conference systems that offer better quality, an open standard, desktop sharing and scalability. On the downside, you get what you pay for and h.232 systems are priced much higher than an Xbox. I've done Skype video conferences in the workplace and for a person to person call it's OK, but it has no place in the conference room.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
What a load of crap... All they do is mimicking a PC. Then, why not just build a pc in economy of scales...
All those crappy R&D, marketing, and rubbish PR... Just do it the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.