Who Wants to Buy AMD? - TGDaily Discussion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

....at which time Turpit's fingers commence to bleeding from editing all the posts in the boards here.... :lol:

sailer

Splendid

Yes they would, and the SEC in particular wields immense power. But lets say that I was rich enough to make such an offer (I'm not) to buy controlling interest. Since the last bid was about $8.50, I might make an offer to buy at $10 and then obtain a mass of shares, perhaps more than the 51% I needed. The FTC would not do all that much beyond making sure I had the money and was not causing a monopoly of something, thereby violating the Sherman Antitrust Act. The SEC would make sure that I was not from another country or transferring control to somone of another country or doing something else less than honest. So while subject to the rules, the rules do not prevent such a sale from happening.

Last, once such a sale was approved, the company could in theory be taken off the stock market, turning it from a publically owned company to a privately owned one. That would require either total ownership or at least approval of the remaining stockholders, but it could be done. Whether or not that would be a good idea is a different subject and one I can't answer.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Sorry but I couldn't help but laugh when I read that one! :lol:

sailer

Splendid

I don't know if that could happen. Its similar to the idea of Samsung buying AMD. The USA gets very particuar in allowing computer technology from leaving the country.

Besides, its hard enough to understand brochures and instructions that are printed in American. How many people could understand them if they were printed in the King's English? :kaola:

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

ATI's HQ was in Canada. It was closed when AMD consolidated it's HQs, and is under the same regulations (FTC) as AMD.

AMD did have to get permission from the Canadian government in order to purchase ATI in the firstplace, however.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

TC your getting better at this lol! I almost forgot about that guy! when they eventually caught up with him, it was like 'ah your the guy who made an arse of himself in front of millions, thats punishment enough! ...well, have a nice day now'

I would say AMD's biggest worry is probably not that of going out of buisness at this stage, but being bought out. The idea of nvidia doing it seems laughable really. Theyve been going great guns the last 2 years, and wouldnt want to sh#t in their own bed buying control of AMD and picking up the interest payments on that debt. Although being the last independant mass market add-in graphics card maker might make them consider buying up a buisness in another related sector though.

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Hugo Chavez!

Need I say more? Imagine that! He has the money to fix AMD.

I think venture capitalist will still be the answer. Keep an eye on this - if someone makes a move on AMD it'll be just when the start clawing back.

sailer

Splendid

With all the monopoly troubles Intel now has in the courts, if they even whispered of such a thing, it would be easier for them to just go to prison, open up the cell doors and lock themselves in. And that's besides opening their financial coffers to pay off the fines and penalties.

M$ could do it with Apple because Apple makes computers and M$ makes software, so there wasn't a bug monopoly problem occurring.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Queen's english ... we have a queen at the moment :p

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Apple also makes software - in particular operating systems that compete directly with M$. Intel "investing" in AMD would mirror this.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
IBM's been "investing" in AMD for a long time by doing AMD's process research for them. The German government has been "investing" in AMD for a long time as well by giving AMD free fabs. Intel has gained a tiny benefit from the x86 license (it's a cross-license, after all), but obvioulsy it's pretty lopsided. Lots of parties have interest in AMD staying alive. But without the x86 license transferring (and Intel CAN stick it to whoever tries to buy the struggling AMD...perfectly legal), what company would be interested?

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

O great genie of de lamp do you see an Intell cpu in my near future..................... :D