[SOLVED] Whole computer crashes with weird graphical glitching when playing Halo Infinite

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Hey yall, I got a GTX 3060 and a new NVMe drive for my computer.

Fresh install windows, everything going fine. Now, whenever I play Halo Infinite, anywhere from 3-15 minutes in I get a whole system freeze, then images like these for a couple seconds:
893KC5e.jpg

gLq3oCZ.jpg

cpOwzt1.jpg

Shots of discord on the other monitor:
Dr97z4Y.jpg

UVk3YaD.jpg

Then the whole computer turns off and on again.

Is this even a GPU problem?? I've installed and reinstalled the latest drivers. Everything on this computer are programs that were working perfectly before the install (I know for a fact as I have a package manager).

Resizable Bar is off and memory clock speeds are on auto (it also crashed when they were set to 3200 mghz).

Other games seem to run fine with some light stuttering every now and then (which was not happening with my old GTX 1060).

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600X
RTX 3060
8 x2 GB RAM @ 3200/auto
500GB WD Black SN750 S NVMe

Any thoughts?

Solution
Yall are gonna love this.

I dug into those dump files with WinDbg
rQwzyT2.png

On both the dumps for the 3060 and 1060 crash, this program gwdrv is mentioned. Look it up, it's GLASSWIRE. The packets that Halo Infinite sends somehow makes the latest version of Glasswire BSOD your computer.

Uninstalled glasswire, no more problems at all.

Nuts.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Do you have the latest drivers for the graphics card? Have you tested your power supply at all? What other titles do you play that would require some juice to run them? No isses with any of those?

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Try going into whatever games/programs you are getting the crash on, and keep an eye on the temperature of your CPU and GPU. Also try and keep an eye on power draw if possible. I recommend using HardwareInfo and watching the sensors. Also, what PSU do you have?

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Do you have the latest drivers for the graphics card? Have you tested your power supply at all? What other titles do you play that would require some juice to run them? No isses with any of those?
Drivers are updated as I said, my PSU has been working for a year, and I tested with BF 2042 no problems (except for those frame hiccups I mentioned).

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Forgot to mention, temps dont go above 60 when playing. Not temps.

I have an EVGA Supernova 650 watt https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0650-Y1
Okay. If you go to:

Windows Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

Can you give a list of any Errors and also "Critical" that are listed from around any times your system last crashed? Maybe post some pictures or just give a list.

I have a couple of ideas of what it could be but I'm thinking event viewer may give us some insight.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Okay. If you go to:

Windows Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

Can you give a list of any Errors and also "Critical" that are listed from around any times your system last crashed? Maybe post some pictures or just give a list.

I have a couple of ideas of what it could be but I'm thinking event viewer may give us some insight.
Sure thing.
HwXhJYJ.png

All these correspond with exactly when the computer boots after crashes happen. They all basically say the same thing with similar details.
EBAkxoC.png

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Sure thing.
HwXhJYJ.png

All these correspond with exactly when the computer boots after crashes happen. They all basically say the same thing with similar details.
EBAkxoC.png
Okay. Yeah every critical will pretty much be the same thing honestly, but is there any regular "errors" or "warnings" that happen around the time (usually before) the crash happens?

I also was going to see if you could try and revert back to an older version of the graphics driver for your new card. I've seen before where the newest drivers can have issues at first and sometimes installing/downgrading to a less recent version of the graphics driver can solve things, and you can install the new drivers when they come out because usually problems like this get patched. From what you're telling us it does seem more like a driver issue rather than a power delivery issue. I was just hoping event viewer might show something driver related in the warnings.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Okay. Yeah every critical will pretty much be the same thing honestly, but is there any regular "errors" or "warnings" that happen around the time (usually before) the crash happens?

I also was going to see if you could try and revert back to an older version of the graphics driver for your new card. I've seen before where the newest drivers can have issues at first and sometimes installing/downgrading to a less recent version of the graphics driver can solve things, and you can install the new drivers when they come out because usually problems like this get patched. From what you're telling us it does seem more like a driver issue rather than a power delivery issue. I was just hoping event viewer might show something driver related in the warnings.
These appeared before one of the crashes
tcYqrqs.png

SxkRXGq.png

NucOI0E.png

Suspicious!

Also got some failed dump file creation warnings

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

Reverting drivers is worth a shot. Though it is odd that it would be happening on two different version of the driver entirely. Wondering if I should RMA the GPU (only to be disappointed by the shortage...)

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Reverting drivers is worth a shot. Though it is odd that it would be happening on two different version of the driver entirely. Wondering if I should RMA the GPU (only to be disappointed by the shortage...)
Judging by that, I would DEFINITELY uninstall your Nvidia drivers and reinstall an earlier version and try again to see if that changes anything.

From what that shows it definitely (at least to me) seems like the latest driver you have installed is causing issues.

It could also be (if you have 2 Nvidia drivers) that there is a conflict between the two drivers. If you have more than one installed, uninstall the other ones and keep the latest driver--if that works then you know what the issue is--if it doesn't, then I'd proceed to replace them with just a single slightly older version driver. Let us know what you find out, I'm very curious.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Judging by that, I would DEFINITELY uninstall your Nvidia drivers and reinstall an earlier version and try again to see if that changes anything.

From what that shows it definitely (at least to me) seems like the latest driver you have installed is causing issues.

It could also be (if you have 2 Nvidia drivers) that there is a conflict between the two drivers. If you have more than one installed, uninstall the other ones and keep the latest driver--if that works then you know what the issue is--if it doesn't, then I'd proceed to replace them with just a single slightly older version driver. Let us know what you find out, I'm very curious.
Ah to be clearer, I tried two different drivers already (uninstalling the first one when installing the second one). But they were both fairly new. I'll go find an older one (as close to what I had before as possible) and let you know how it goes!

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015
Ah to be clearer, I tried two different drivers already (uninstalling the first one when installing the second one). But they were both fairly new. I'll go find an older one (as close to what I had before as possible) and let you know how it goes!
Sounds good! Obviously make sure it is still compatible with your current card but yes I'd try that and let us know what you find.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Sounds good! Obviously make sure it is still compatible with your current card but yes I'd try that and let us know what you find.
So I installed a driver from August.

Played hearthstone for a couple hours, no hitches.

Played some Halo for 5 minutes, same crash. The graphical artifacts change every crash, I got this one before I updated drivers, but here's what it looked like this time:
6japdpN.png

Also to note, when I installed the GPU with the new Windows, my secondary monitor was getting these weird red dots on certain colors:
zj9zrj7.png

This was alleviated by messing with the refresh rate, but it still keeps happening a little bit.

My next step is swap in the old GPU (and reinstall a driver for it) and see if any of this crap keeps happening...

Also also to note, I got these errors about the NVIDIA container crashing when there was no crash last night, so I guess that was a red herring:
HE7rcyd.png

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Swapped back in the 1060,, this time I got a BSOD when playing Halo! DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. This is the error got on my old NVMe due to a Windows PCIe power delivering setting (which I fixed).
Check BlueScreenView, and turns out it's been creating BSOD dumps for all the crashes, even with the 3060!

Dump from the 1060:
http://l33tnasx.quickconnect.to/d/s.../PBV_7WY--aqLecFIltzj0vSb2N931ShQ-Wb0ggLikHAk
JVrUAWI.png

Dump from a 3060 crash:
http://l33tnasx.quickconnect.to/d/s.../N-DBv_8Sq6XLni_vqcJzHU8Em4wx_fnW-Yr0gPwOlHAk
duxH8pA.png

5900x

Commendable
Aug 18, 2021
Try this maybe. If this is happening just with Halo, go to the DLC section in Steam and uncheck high-res texture pack. I used to get random crashes to desktop with weird colour gradient right about the crashing second and I did this and haven't had problems since. Halo for all it's fame isn't fully optimized yet. Though system freezes usually point to overheating and bad drivers, but you never know, could be worth a shot.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013

rQwzyT2.png

On both the dumps for the 3060 and 1060 crash, this program gwdrv is mentioned. Look it up, it's GLASSWIRE. The packets that Halo Infinite sends somehow makes the latest version of Glasswire BSOD your computer.

Nuts.

Last edited:
Solution

Ironarmygeneral

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2015

rQwzyT2.png

Nuts.
Glad you figured it out!