[SOLVED] Whole network getting lag spikes when adding second router to the network

Aug 28, 2021
Hi guys, meaby you can help me with that:

I've got router from ISP that is pretty bad, so i bought second one (for better wifi and more ethernet ports). But when i connect this second router of mine to the network, after a while (like 10-15 minutes) whole network gets lag spikes, slower speeds and works plainly bad - instead of 300mbps I get 20, sometimes even less and ping over 500ms.

My setup looks like this:

ISP router ethernet port -> 2nd router wan port (directly), then ethernet connections and wifi from 2nd router to all my devices.
ISP router have wifi card disabled.

What can cause problems like that? When using only ISP router, my network works just fine, and my 2nd router is brand new.
I also checked DHCP settings on both, 2nd router have range of 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.199 and ISP router have range starting with 192.168.1.10, both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0

Solution
This Horizon modem/router?

https://www.192-168-1-1-ip.co/horizon/routers/783/

Warning note: while looking for the Horizon User Guide/Manual I hit a couple of bogus websites that claimed my computer was infected and would be shut down by Microsoft etc. if I did not call them to get things fixed.

Turn off DHCP on the ISP's Router - just let the Horizon device work as a modem.

Then enable DHCP on the new TP-Link router. You can leave it at its default IP address (192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

Configure all network devices to request a DHCP IP address from the TP-Link router via 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

FYI...

Ralston18

Titan
Is DHCP disabled on the second router?

Only the main router should be providing IP addresses to network devices.

Modem: make and model?

Make & Model routers? Old (ISP) router - could be a modem router combo.

Make and Model new router.

As I view it, the new router should be the main router with the old router perhaps serving as a switch or access point.

And I expect that the connection from the main router to the second router would be LAN to LAN ports.

Reactions: Kizbo
Aug 28, 2021

As I view it, the new router should be the main router with the old router perhaps serving as a switch or access point.

And I expect that the connection from the main router to the second router would be LAN to LAN ports.

I will try to disable dhcp in the new router and connect them together in lan to lan connection, the only problem is that i can't disconnect old router - it is also a modem device from ISP.

Aug 28, 2021

ISP router & modem: It is some kind of ISP-branded, HORIZON dmc7002klg2
my new router: TP-Link Archer C6

EDIT:
Ralston, I've tried to disable DHCP on the 2nd router to no avail...the effect is the same, after a while network still gets this lagging behavior. I also tried to connect to devices via LAN -> LAN connection, but then my tp-link just said there is no wan connection and no internet.

To clarify:
I want the ISP modemrouter to just pass through the internet connection to my new router, then from my new router (tp-link) i want to do all the networking with wifi and ethernet connections. When i do all this just with ISP device everything is fine, there are lag spikes only when i add my new router between ISP one and my devices in home.

More detailed config, meaby this will help in something:
ISP Modem&router (Horizon):
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: on
Starting addr: 192.168.1.10
DHCP pool size: 244

My new, tp-link router:
IP addr: 192.168.1.143
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
LAN config:
IP addr: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP: off

Even though i disabled dhcp on tp-link, addresses for my devices are still in the range 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.249 that is configured on the tp-link router and i don't know why to be honest?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

Warning note: while looking for the Horizon User Guide/Manual I hit a couple of bogus websites that claimed my computer was infected and would be shut down by Microsoft etc. if I did not call them to get things fixed.

Turn off DHCP on the ISP's Router - just let the Horizon device work as a modem.

Then enable DHCP on the new TP-Link router. You can leave it at its default IP address (192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

Configure all network devices to request a DHCP IP address from the TP-Link router via 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0)

FYI:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200727/1910012811_Archer A6&Archer C6_UG.pdf

Most routers are preset with some basic configuration settings. For example the range 192.168.0.100 -192.168.0.249

The range can be changed and you can also set up specific IPs for static use. That can be done later on.

Start simple:

ISP ===DSL connection ==> Horizon modem/router as modem --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port] new TP-Link Router [LAN Port] --- Ethernet cable ----- > to your PC.

For a quick "big picture" view, take a look at physically numbered Pages 8 & 9 of the TP-Links User Guide.

For another view of connectivity:

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/home-network-diagram

However, before doing anything read through the entire manual. Depending on what you have done and/or tried to date you may need to do a factory reset on the TP-Link router. Start over. You will need to use the default login name and password.

Change the router's Login and Password as soon as possible so the default values cannot be used by someone else to gain access.

Once your PC is connected and working then configure the remaining network computers and devices to likewise seek a DHCP IP address from the TP-Link router.

One by one....

You will probably find it helpful to sketch out your own diagram showing devices, device names, connectivity, and configuration information (DHCP, Static).

Solution
Aug 28, 2021

FYI:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200727/1910012811_Archer A6&Archer C6_UG.pdf

Most routers are preset with some basic configuration settings. For example the range 192.168.0.100 -192.168.0.249

The range can be changed and you can also set up specific IPs for static use. That can be done later on.

Start simple:

ISP ===DSL connection ==> Horizon modem/router as modem --- Ethernet cable --->[WAN port] new TP-Link Router [LAN Port] --- Ethernet cable ----- > to your PC.

For a quick "big picture" view, take a look at physically numbered Pages 8 & 9 of the TP-Links User Guide.

For another view of connectivity:

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/home-network-diagram

However, before doing anything read through the entire manual. Depending on what you have done and/or tried to date you may need to do a factory reset on the TP-Link router. Start over. You will need to use the default login name and password.

Change the router's Login and Password as soon as possible so the default values cannot be used by someone else to gain access.

Once your PC is connected and working then configure the remaining network computers and devices to likewise seek a DHCP IP address from the TP-Link router.

One by one....

You will probably find it helpful to sketch out your own diagram showing devices, device names, connectivity, and configuration information (DHCP, Static).

Hi Ralston, thank you a lot for your detailed instruction, unfortunately I cannot make it work, I guess I'm doing something in wrong order:
But when I'm disabling DHCP in Horizon (ISP) device and try to configure Tp-link router, it's giving me an error (not meaningful error, just something like "woops, there was an error"),
When I'm going through setup, they ask me this:
IP addr for router,
subnet mask,
default gateway,
dns servers

I used ip address and subnet you mention (192.168.1.1 and 255.255.255.0), as gateway i inputed 192.168.1.1 (should it be something different?) and for dns servers, i copied dns servers from Horizon configuration.
And after all that, there is an error i mentioned above, I can continue to my router, but there is no connection to the internet even after I continue to the admin panel. Even after i enable DHCP on Tp-link device.

By the way, you mention that:

But when the DHCP inside Horizon router is enabled, Horizon device is 192.168.1.1 and my tp-link is 192.168.1.143, is this thing matters?

To summarize, i tried this config in tp-link that did not work:
Internet:
IP: 192.168.1.1 (i also tried 192.168.1.143, same result)
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1

DHCP:
IP: 192.168.0.1
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
(when i try to change that to 192.168.1.1 I can't save settings, it informs me that dhcp ip should be in another subnet from internet ip)

For my limited knowledge, I'm doing something in the wrong order or/and I'm inputting wrong default gateway for my tp-link router, but I'm not sure really.

Ralston18

Titan
First of all, apologies - I made an error with respect to the Archer C6 router's default IP address.

Appears to be 192.168.0.1. Not 192.168.1.1

Source:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-gui...ustomize-your-network-settings#ug-sub-title-1

Full User Guide here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-gui...-get-to-know-about-your-router#ug-sub-title-1

You may find it both easier and less confusing to directly log into the router via your browser and not TP-Links's website/web-based/web management utility.

In the full User Guide go to the FAQ Section and the end and read Q (Question) 3.

Overall:

Horizon modem/router DHCP should be disabled.

TP-Link router should be 192.168.0.1 (default) with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

All network devices should be configured to request a DHCP IP address via the router at 192.168.0.1 or use an applicable Static IP address assigned to and reserved on the router for the device via the device's MAC.

On your computer, for example, you can use "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt to determine how your computer is currently configured.

For more information:

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/reading-ipconfig-and-diagnosing.html

Aug 28, 2021
Should I configure horizon modem to fetch ip from my router too?

Because from what I understand you telling me to set my LAN network (between my devices and router) to 192.168.0.1, but what about the network between router and modem? Correct me if my understanding is wrong, but when I try to configure router (tplink) it asks me about connection type to the internet (ip addr, subnet, gateway) and what should I input there?

I'm talking about view in this page, point 2.4 to be precise:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/Archer-A6&C6_V2/chapter-4-set-up-internet-connection

And thank you for your patience and help again, it is really confusing for me o_O

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Your connection type on the TP-Link Archer is a static IP address connection.

Have the Horzizon router connect as normal so Horizon IP is 192.168.1.1 in the Static IP settings on the Archer have the IP address as 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway as being 192.168.1.1.

Personally I like to use public DNS for everything so either OpenDNS 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 or Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

That should get you out on the internet OK you would have DHCP configured on the Archer for a completely different range like 10.10.10.x for all your LAN devices. However word of warning by having two routers you are making life harder for yourself. You will have all kinds of double NAT issues when you try to redirect traffic from the outside world to the TP-LInk Archer router. Internet browsing fine any kind of port forwarding or UPNP however you likely to have issues.

If your Horizon router can be put into modem only mode that would be much better so it would just act like a modem and your TP-Link Archer would then connect via PPOE most likely that way you only have one "router" on the network and all the NAT and port forwarding is controlled there. Two routers is really one router too many, if you can't do this you can try putting the IP address of the TP-Link Archer in a DMZ on the Horizon router that might help but it's still not ideal.

If you want better Wi-Fi then add meshing wireless network points and if you want more ethernet ports add a switch, two routers ultimately just complicates things.

Aug 28, 2021
Hi guys, i called my ISP and they said Horizon cannot be fully turned into a modem and i need a second device (modem) from them to make it work at all, that is why i had such a strange problems when i connected my tp-link router. I will go with their device and wifi mesh repeater and will return my new router. Thank you a lot for help Ralston and eldridgep.