[SOLVED] Whole screen abstract on boot up

Jan 18, 2021
Please help what could be the problem though i suspect its the gpu

Ryzen 3600
B540 tomahawk max
3200mhz ddr4 ram
1060 6gb
650 fsp hydro ge gold

Whenever i boot up, it crashes right before windows could load up (dots circling around), whole screen goes abstract then crashes, few seconds later it rrstarts on its own then same thing happens. BIOS and safe mode is stable, no artifacts, and is working fine. Though i cant go to safe mode anymore after i reset my pc through recovery mode, it crashed (whole screen abstract again) while installing windows and then the loop starts again.

I highly suspect its the gpu but I wonder why it never crashes in BIOS and safe mode, i thought it was the drivers so i reset my pc, but it didnt solve the problem

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Solution
Hmm do you think its a gpu problem? Ill try to find and create a bootable flash drive
Of course it's possible it's a GPU problem. If you have a friend who can test in it their PC, that would be good. But, based on your original post and symptoms, I still think it an issue with your Windows installation.
Jan 18, 2021
Is this a new build? If so, did you do a clean Windows install or are you using a copy of Windows from another, older build with a different motherboard?
Only the cpu, mobo, and psu are the new parts here. At first boot up after assemblijg it with the new psu, it actually reached my windows lockscreen, around 10seconds after, the whole screen artifacts, crashed, then restarted on its own. It booted up to recovery mode (which is stable, no artifacts nor crashes), so i speculated it is a driver issue since BIOS, recovery mode, and safe mode were all stable, which led me to reset my pc to factory settings. As it was installing windows again, around 10seconds, it crashed and the whole loop of crash and resarts started. Though i can still go to BIOS (stable, no artifacts nor crashes)

Only the cpu, mobo, and psu are the new parts here. At first boot up after assemblijg it with the new psu, it actually reached my windows lockscreen, around 10seconds after, the whole screen artifacts, crashed, then restarted on its own. It booted up to recovery mode (which is stable, no artifacts nor crashes), so i speculated it is a driver issue since BIOS, recovery mode, and safe mode were all stable, which led me to reset my pc to factory settings. As it was installing windows again, around 10seconds, it crashed and the whole loop of crash and resarts started. Though i can still go to BIOS (stable, no artifacts nor crashes)
I'm still a bit confused - "...as it was installing windows again...".

"reset pc to factory settings" is not the same as doing a clean Windows install.

Create installation media for Windows

After you've created the installation media, you need to try to boot from it. When you do, it will take you through the Windows installation process that will write a useable copy of Windows to your disk.

The fact that you could reach the windows lock screen, and then it booted to recovery mode is irrelevant. You cannot 'recover' from a Windows installation that was done with a different CPU and motherboard.

Jan 18, 2021
I'm still a bit confused - "...as it was installing windows again...".

"reset pc to factory settings" is not the same as doing a clean Windows install.

Create installation media for Windows

After you've created the installation media, you need to try to boot from it. When you do, it will take you through the Windows installation process that will write a useable copy of Windows to your disk.
In my pc, theres an option to reset the windows to a fresh one (all files deleted). After the resetting process, it automatically installs windows on its own

In my pc, theres an option to reset the windows to a fresh one (all files deleted). After the resetting process, it automatically installs windows on its own
That's interesting. From what I can find on the internet, doing what you did 'should' be the same as a clean install. I've never tried it so I cannot attest to whether it works or not.

Whenever I do a new build, I do a clean Windows install from USB installation media and it has never failed me. After I do the install, I leave the new build up and running so Windows 10 can automatically update to the latest and greatest. Typically, the system will need to restart several times as the updates are applied. Then I go to my motherboard's manufacturer site and download and install drivers specific to my motherboard. After all that, I connect the 'old' disk to my build and copy my personal files from it to the new disk. Any/all programs/applications/games that I had on the old build, I reinstall from media or download them and install.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021
That's interesting. From what I can find on the internet, doing what you did 'should' be the same as a clean install. I've never tried it so I cannot attest to whether it works or not.

Whenever I do a new build, I do a clean Windows install from USB installation media and it has never failed me. After I do the install, I leave the new build up and running so Windows 10 can automatically update to the latest and greatest. Typically, the system will need to restart several times as the updates are applied. Then I go to my motherboard's manufacturer site and download and install drivers specific to my motherboard. After all that, I connect the 'old' disk to my build and copy my personal files from it to the new disk. Any/all programs/applications/games that I had on the old build, I reinstall from media or download them and install.
Hmm do you think its a gpu problem? Ill try to find and create a bootable flash drive