Who's waiting for the 760.

G

Just wanted to get an idea,take a poll, of the number of people posting here, that are looking to get a new system and are waiting for the AMD760 standard.

I am one of them.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
me 2,
although i have an athlon800, a7v which I love,
i've already found a buyer for it and am awaiting the day.

Why? because it's there. :)

G

HeHe....... I have a Gigabyte DDR MoBo already and it's a screamer :) Im just afraid its going to fry my old TNT2 Ultra.

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain

G

I'm waiting for one for sure. I Just put together a 1 GHz Asus A7V with GeForce 2 Ultra for a friend. That was a monster. But I will wait for a DDR motherboard. I will probadly not take the first, I already have a P2B-DS with 2x600 MHz. so I have no urgent need. But for gaming that will be the case my Matrox G400 Max is not the fastest anylonger.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am going to wait to see what this AMD760 chipset paired up with DDR memory can really do. IT looks good on paper, but i'm not convinced that it will be as hot as it sounds.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am waiting to see actual motherboard reviews and at least one or two revisions on the boards before I upgrade.
I have an A7V with a 900MHz T-bird, a geforce2 GTS card, 128MB CAS2 PC133 SDRAM, and an ATA/100 drive and its more than fast enough for all my games--I don't do anything in 32bit color but at 16bit its amazing.

James

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Where did you get the DDR board? Did you buy a system with it? I am trying to hold out on the upgrade, but I don't know if my K63-400 will hold out. My friend just got the KT7 RAID, and it is tempting, but I'd like a DDR setup.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

Yah, where did you get that mobo.

And where did you get the DDR memory.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will wait.
I just set up a new system with the A7V.
I have seen recent reviews that say it may not be that much faster. Not to mention that it will still be at least a month before you will be able to find one for sale. And then there are the bugs. The A7V came out around September and two months later they are still coming out with new bios updates to fix problems. If I did get one, I would be waiting for at least 3 more months to be safe. Right now was a great time for me to upgrade, my K6-2 and P5A combo was just beat and RAM has never been so cheap. What happens in three months when it becomes a good time to buy the new DDR?...Ram may be really expensive.
I'll let you braver souls forge ahead, you can let me know how it goes.
:)

G

I work at AMD..... I am lucky enough to see all the pre-production processors and hardware well before they are released. Unfortunately I cant share any of this info. The GiG DDR board has been released, but good luck finding one :)

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain

G

Thats really cool, but not all of us work for a company where this technology is available. I live in Canada and as per usual, I'll read more reviews on DDR boards before I see them locally. All the same though, would you recommend waiting on the DDR solution or is it too soon to tell? I'd like to see your benchmark scores! :)

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've been waiting ever since i heard about DDR. Saw Best Buy is already selling a Micron PC system with a DDR board (Gigabyte???), but haven't seen the motherboards available for sale anywhere yet.

G

I think we should all send spam email to slice until he gives up secrets.:>)

Take Care.
If money was no object, how could you spend it!

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am waiting also. Does anyone know when the boards are expected to hit the retail market. What outlets usually have the boards first? I notice some will wait for reviews and others for the revised boards. Is this a good move? I assume Tom's hardware will be quick to review.

Brian

G

I thought everyone was waiting for these mobo's to hit the market. I've been chomping at the bit to build a new system since June, but keep putting it off in anticipation of the DDR mobo's. I plan on going all out, scsi, geforce 2 ultra, 256 DDR RAM, etc.....

Life is bland without all the Spice.

G

Oh ya. But I've been tempted to go A7V because of crazy ram prices because I'm planning a gig of ram for my machine. Ill probably start with 2x256 first then add a 512 later. 3DStudio Max can easily use it up. Just make a few geodesic shperes and its all over.
I was planning a stock Athlon gig but I could save $125 by oc'ing an Athlon 850. I'm also waiting for the latest video cards. Very important for Max work.

Mahimahi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am waiting for the ASUS A7M266 motherboard which will have the ASUS A7M266 chipset including the AMD761 North bridge and the VIA VT82C686B South Bridge.
Does anyone know when this Motherboard will be available?
No problem for the DDR SDRAM, it can be bought on the (USA) MICRON site.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mahimahi on 11/17/00 04:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm waiting for the Asus A7M266 and maybe even the new Palomino chip. I'm upgrading from a p200 so I want to make it a good one. I would upgrade more often, but my college takes all my money before I can spend it :)

G

I am also looking for the Asus board. I did see a listing for a Gigabyte board on price watch, but last time I checked it isn't shipping yet. Has anyone seen prices for DDR RAM, I checked crucial's web site and couldn't find prices.