[SOLVED] Why am I getting a sudden massive Performance drop? Please help!!!

Jan 19, 2020
System: core i7 7700k 4.9 ghz 1.275V
Rog gtx 1080 strix, base clock
32gb corsair Vengence 3000mhz ram
256gb Samsung evo ssd
4tb backup drive
1000watt 80+ gold psu
Asus rog maximus hero XI

I built this system 4 years ago, it has always ran everything I wanted, vr( valve index), the witcher 3, minecraft, assassin's creed, ect.

3 or 4 days ago it just stopped running good. Massive frame drops, odd studders and graphic glitches.

I took it all apart and cleaned it, optimized windows, made sure I had good temps(cpu max 60C, gpu max 55C), set everything to normal clock speed, and re installed windows. No luck.

I have no idea what is causing this please help!!

Last edited:
Solution
Define Graphics glitches? Because if you're referring to artifacting (like blocky pixels appearing in odd colors where they shouldn't) It is usually a sign of a fried GPU, bad memory, or a bad board. I'd troubleshoot in that order. Go ahead and get OCCT, run the "power" test for a few minutes (3-10 minutes should be enough) and let us know your temps, and loads, and so on. And if it crashes during the test, assume it is one of the hardware issue mentioned earlier and proceed to troubleshooting.
Jan 19, 2020
You'd have to make a detailed measurement with the programs "hwinfo" and "rivatuner" giving information such as how your GPU/CPU frequencies and voltages are when confronted with a full work load, how much power both draw et.

Feb 19, 2020
Define Graphics glitches? Because if you're referring to artifacting (like blocky pixels appearing in odd colors where they shouldn't) It is usually a sign of a fried GPU, bad memory, or a bad board. I'd troubleshoot in that order. Go ahead and get OCCT, run the "power" test for a few minutes (3-10 minutes should be enough) and let us know your temps, and loads, and so on. And if it crashes during the test, assume it is one of the hardware issue mentioned earlier and proceed to troubleshooting.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Solution

TRENDING THREADS