Question Why am I getting input lag in games the longer my computer is on.

Mar 11, 2022
I’ve been troubleshooting and trying various things to fix an issue I’m having with Halo infinite as well as Call of Duty Black ops Cold War. I am playing on windows 10 with a 5600x and a 1070, with 16GB of ram. I use an m.2 ssd for Windows and my game. The longer my computer is on the worse the input lag and overall performance of Halo and CoD become. They dont experience large frame drops, but it starts to feel like things aren’t as responsive and snappy. It’s not internet related because I can load an offline session and still get the same issues. I’m becoming frustrated with it because I have tweaked so many settings and reinstalled windows several times now because of it. I went from Windows 11 back to 10 with numerous reinstalls in between due to the issue. I’m mainly wondering if anyone else has had this issues as well and whether or not you guys know how to fix it. I will happily provide results for suggested tests among other things.

Are CPU and GPU temps both under control?

Can you tab out of game to desktop both when system is working fine and also when experiencing general sluggishness just to see what clock speeds and/or temps are? (Looking for any evidence of the system dropping CPU clock speeds for whatever reason at first; if we see a drop from 4.3 GHz to 2 GHz, etc., we might at least then know when are following a clue, and can then speculate on why.

WHat are the rest of the system specs? (Mainboard, PSU, etc.)

Mar 11, 2022
Are CPU and GPU temps both under control?

Can you tab out of game to desktop both when system is working fine and also when experiencing general sluggishness just to see what clock speeds and/or temps are? (Looking for any evidence of the system dropping CPU clock speeds for whatever reason at first; if we see a drop from 4.3 GHz to 2 GHz, etc., we might at least then know when are following a clue, and can then speculate on why.

WHat are the rest of the system specs? (Mainboard, PSU, etc.)
Yea I can tab out ok. My CPU is overclocked to 4.6GHz consistently, but the issue was happening before I overclocked. GPU sits around 40-50C in game because I have the fans on 80%. CPU hit 65C max on a stress test after overclocking. I have a MSI B550A Pro motherboard and a Corsair CX650 PSU. Today I actually took my second m.2 out just to test stuff out and played a session with no issues, but it wasn’t very long so I’m not positive it’s related.