Question Why am I getting Low FPS with a RX 6700XT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2021
Hello, so I just recently got an RX 6700XT and I attempted to play some games at max settings however the FPS were just so lackluster that I am confused why I am getting such low FPS. In rainbow six siege I was dropping to 75 FPS and barely holing 135ish fps stables with constant drops under 100 fps. For Apex legends the fps counter was stuck at 60 fps and I didn't tick any higher than that and make matters worse for league of legends I was getting 100-200 fps. I don't know what is going on but my hardware is seriously underperforming when I look at reviews online this card could be able to achieve much higher fps than what I am getting.
Any ideas how what I can do in order to improve my FPS. I have already installed the AMD drivers and MSI afterburner. Ill drop my sceps below

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X
GPU: RX 6700 XT AMD reference card
MB: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
Memory; G. Skull DDR4 3200, 16GB
500 Western Black NVME 2.0 for main operating system location
120 Adata SSD
2TB Hard drive
PSU: 650 W EVGA
Monitor: Gigabyte 27" IPS M27Q , 1440p 170 hz

This one would be my pick. It's built by seasonic.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.13 @ Amazon)
Total: $108.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-17 13:43 EDT-0400
Again if the recommended safe zone for the system is 650 to 700w.... the safe recommendations would be a 800 to 850w psu at minimum..... does no one account for precautions anymore.... again it's well know through out that you should always minus 50w-75w from any psu yes their max ability are to hit that point of power but they don't provide steady watts at that value.... so ocing can fail faster, upgrading in the future is probably a no.... never provide a exact recommended Power Supply that is just asking for more failure down the road

logainofhades

Titan
Again if the recommended safe zone for the system is 650 to 700w.... the safe recommendations would be a 800 to 850w psu at minimum..... does no one account for precautions anymore.... again it's well know through out that you should always minus 50w-75w from any psu yes their max ability are to hit that point of power but they don't provide steady watts at that value.... so ocing can fail faster, upgrading in the future is probably a no.... never provide a exact recommended Power Supply that is just asking for more failure down the road

I am using a 5800x, with an RX 6800, a seasonic built 650w Fractal, just fine. 750w is plenty and then some, for a 6700xt.

I am using a 5800x, with an RX 6800, a seasonic built 650w Fractal, just fine. 750w is plenty and then some, for a 6700xt.
Yeah... no not just fine full system specs??? And why what is the point.. you are destroying the preformance of that 6800 mixing it with a 5800.... you realize that the max preformance of your 6800 is dropping to match and co-decypher with the 5800.... I garentee you have bottlenecks out the wazoo that you just aren't even noticing

How am I destroying the performance of an RX 6800 with a Ryzen 5800x, one of the fastest gaming CPU's on the planet, right now? System link is in my sig, just as an FYI.
I'm not finding your signature any where... but if you are correct and your using a minimum recommended psu for it.... then it will make upgrading in the future possibly harder because you will most likely need a stronger psu, more money there, or possibly and again like I said the last time I posted this comment.... will have less stable of oc's and may not even be able to oc to a cpu or gpus full potential of oc... and yes ocing is for the most part dead these days, but their are still thoughs few that do, and again the psu saying it's 650w yes it should then be able to hit that wattage, but again they don't sit there they have a reserver that keeps it ready for a spike in wat usage so if the system does need the full 650w at one point it will draw from the reserve and if the system needs more then what's stored in the reserve plus ability to provide it will cause the system to crash I know I have had this issue with both Intel and amd cpus... because I had the minimum required then oced and everytime I would play a game and would get to a demanding point the system would crash leave the oc's get stong psu no more crashing

logainofhades

Titan
I play WoW, and FFXIV. I have 0 need for an upgrade, any time soon. By the time I need something, I will probably be after a whole new rig. I don't overclock, as it is a waste of time. PBO and leave it alone. My rig, according to PCPP is only 484w. Also I have faith in the quality of my seasonic built PSU. If I absolutely need a larger PSU, I have an EVGA 750w G2 in my second rig. I just went SFX, to clear some cable clutter, in my ITX case.

My RX6800 I actually got from AMD direct, so it isn't the gigabyte one listed, but it is a reference card.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZknJQD

Also this also confirms that I am fine. I trust Guru3d more than anyone else, for GPU reviews.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-6800-review,5.html

I play WoW, and FFXIV. I have 0 need for an upgrade, any time soon. By the time I need something, I will probably be after a whole new rig. I don't overclock, as it is a waste of time. PBO and leave it alone. My rig, according to PCPP is only 484w. Also I have faith in the quality of my seasonic built PSU. If I absolutely need a larger PSU, I have an EVGA 750w G2 in my second rig. I just went SFX, to clear some cable clutter, in my ITX case.

My RX6800 I actually got from AMD direct, so it isn't the gigabyte one listed, but it is a reference card.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZknJQD

Also this also confirms that I am fine. I trust Guru3d more than anyone else, for GPU reviews.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-6800-review,5.html
Lol the fact that you are still on with this is sad, I never told you you were going to have problems never said anything g that regarded your system minus the one misunderstanding I had earlier when you were talking about your gpu and cpu combo.... other then that I was saying in general... not your system... if your system only requires 484w then your fine with a 650w your again following what I suggested earlier.... your using a 100w at the least higher then recommend... he however would need a 750 to 800w... otherwise again the reserve power may get drained at a spike point and crash the pc.

logainofhades

Titan
Lol the fact that you are still on with this is sad, I never told you you were going to have problems never said anything g that regarded your system minus the one misunderstanding I had earlier when you were talking about your gpu and cpu combo.... other then that I was saying in general... not your system... if your system only requires 484w then your fine with a 650w your again following what I suggested earlier.... your using a 100w at the least higher then recommend... he however would need a 750 to 800w... otherwise again the reserve power may get drained at a spike point and crash the pc.

How would he need more, with a 6700xt, that uses less power than my RX 6800? That makes 0 sense. Also, I suggested a 750w to begin with, with you suggesting an unnecessary 800w - 850w. Not saying a bit of overkill is bad, but saying they have to have it is wrong. Just as an FYI, I took their listed parts, and plugged it into PCPP, and got 449w.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm not finding your signature any where... but if you are correct and your using a minimum recommended psu for it.... then it will make upgrading in the future possibly harder because you will most likely need a stronger psu, more money there, or possibly and again like I said the last time I posted this comment.... will have less stable of oc's and may not even be able to oc to a cpu or gpus full potential of oc... and yes ocing is for the most part dead these days, but their are still thoughs few that do, and again the psu saying it's 650w yes it should then be able to hit that wattage, but again they don't sit there they have a reserver that keeps it ready for a spike in wat usage so if the system does need the full 650w at one point it will draw from the reserve and if the system needs more then what's stored in the reserve plus ability to provide it will cause the system to crash I know I have had this issue with both Intel and amd cpus... because I had the minimum required then oced and everytime I would play a game and would get to a demanding point the system would crash leave the oc's get stong psu no more crashing

While the idea of wanting to have a PSU that can absorb whatever you throw at it is sound logic you have some failures of information here.

Lets use a 650w PSU for example (a GOOD one, junk ones do not apply to this logic). 650w does not mean that once the power demand of the system hits 651w you hit protection and the system crashes. In fact 650w is more of a sustained wattage. Now is it a good idea to run it at 650w 24/7? Well in theory it should handle it, but stuff degrades, blah blah, I wouldn't do it. So yes buying 650w for a system that will normally consume 650w is not the best idea. But now we bring in transient spikes. Well what happens if your say 500w system spikes to 600w? better have a 650 minimum right? But what if it spikes to 700? or 800?

I own a Vega 64LC, you know what that GPU has the capability of transient spiking to? 900w. Seriously, its been tested. Does that mean I need a 1000w PSU for the occasional 900w spike? No. In reality I run that GPU on a Seasonic Prime Titanium 750w. Have been for almost 5 years now, and I do a lot of AAA gaming on it. It absorbs those spikes no problem, because a good PSU can absorb such spikes and provide a normal sustained load for that system (which is around 650 or so watts). Theres no "reserve" PSUs, do not give, components take. They take what they want when they want it, and when they take too much, thats what protections are for.

The OP's system, and logain's for that matter will NOT be transient spiking that high. That was a Vega issue. And in fact the sustained wattage under gaming for either system should be around 500w. Meaning 650w would be fine, 750w would definitely be fine, springing for 800+w would be overkill. And that certainly means criticizing the suggestion of a high quality Seasonic made 750w PSU is a ridiculous thing to do.

While the idea of wanting to have a PSU that can absorb whatever you throw at it is sound logic you have some failures of information here.

Lets use a 650w PSU for example (a GOOD one, junk ones do not apply to this logic). 650w does not mean that once the power demand of the system hits 651w you hit protection and the system crashes. In fact 650w is more of a sustained wattage. Now is it a good idea to run it at 650w 24/7? Well in theory it should handle it, but stuff degrades, blah blah, I wouldn't do it. So yes buying 650w for a system that will normally consume 650w is not the best idea. But now we bring in transient spikes. Well what happens if your say 500w system spikes to 600w? better have a 650 minimum right? But what if it spikes to 700? or 800?

I own a Vega 64LC, you know what that GPU has the capability of transient spiking to? 900w. Seriously, its been tested. Does that mean I need a 1000w PSU for the occasional 900w spike? No. In reality I run that GPU on a Seasonic Prime Titanium 750w. Have been for almost 5 years now, and I do a lot of AAA gaming on it. It absorbs those spikes no problem, because a good PSU can absorb such spikes and provide a normal sustained load for that system (which is around 650 or so watts). Theres no "reserve" PSUs, do not give, components take. They take what they want when they want it, and when they take too much, thats what protections are for.

The OP's system, and logain's for that matter will NOT be transient spiking that high. That was a Vega issue. And in fact the sustained wattage under gaming for either system should be around 500w. Meaning 650w would be fine, 750w would definitely be fine, springing for 800+w would be overkill. And that certainly means criticizing the suggestion of a high quality Seasonic made 750w PSU is a ridiculous thing to do.
Wow all of you are completely missing the point.... well that maybe be all fine and dandy that some random component not going back through that long post to find it again... assuming you were referring to a gpu or something like.... that's great that after being g pushed so hard it has the potential of having a oc that would spike to need 900wats but if that's the case having a 750w psu just means like I KEEP saying your never going g to get the max oc or preformance out of a card that won't have the power requirements to get there......

And as for the other portion of your comment again people aren't readi g the whole freaking post they just start to assume what people are saying.... "never said the the moment it hits 650w power or 651w for that matter it would crash..... I said if it hits the max power draw from the reserve in the psu plus more then what it can continously supply at the moment of the spike....

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Wow all of you are completely missing the point.... well that maybe be all fine and dandy that some random component not going back through that long post to find it again... assuming you were referring to a gpu or something like.... that's great that after being g pushed so hard it has the potential of having a oc that would spike to need 900wats but if that's the case having a 750w psu just means like I KEEP saying your never going g to get the max oc or preformance out of a card that won't have the power requirements to get there......

And as for the other portion of your comment again people aren't readi g the whole freaking post they just start to assume what people are saying.... "never said the the moment it hits 650w power or 651w for that matter it would crash..... I said if it hits the max power draw from the reserve in the psu plus more then what it can continously supply at the moment of the spike....

And again like you KEEP saying you fundamentally do not understand how this all works. Hardware doesn't throttle due to the PSU. Hardware takes what it wants. If the PSU cannot provide it, you hit protections.

PSUs are for lack of a better term "dumb". There is nothing inside a PSU that says it can only provide 150w through an 8 pin PCIe connector. Part of the standard is that the hardware (GPU for example) is supposed to adhere to the PCIe standard for an 8 pin connector and not overdraw it. If you recall when the RX 480 was released, AMD had to quickly release an update because the cards were overdrawing the PCIe connector.

I did read the whole post which is where I draw my conclusions about your incorrect information and advice from. The hardware in question here doesn't need 650w of continuous power draw or even normal max power draw, in fact it needs well below that probably about 500w. And a good 650w PSU can absorb a 150w transient spike plus more, well beyond the PSU's rated amount. This is a known fact. This is the example I gave you.

You can feel free to keep fighting me, but I am 100% correct. My suggestion would be to work to gain a better understanding of how PSUs work within systems before bashing good advice or giving advice of your own here.