Question Why am i having unstable game performance in Destiny 2?

JasonH81

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I have a refurbished HP Z220 with these components installed https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9ZztGG

It has a stock 400W power supply and the stock cooling for the cpu.

I'm playing at 1080p with V-sync enabled. I believe this setup shouldn't even break a sweat playing D2, but even at 60fps, I experience framedrops on certain locals. I even dropped foliage shadow detail down to high and decreased my ambient occlusion. The Nvidia experience suggests max settings, but the unstable framerate has me decreasing everything. Other games like Crackdown 3, Warframe, Forza Horizon 4 perform very well. Crackdown 3 and Warframe are both maxed out ultra settings, and Forza Horizon 4 has a mix between Ultra and High settings and on the benchmark check, it's able to stay within the high 80-90fps.

So, why is D2 such a poor performer in my setup?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Did you recently install Windows patch number KB4482887? Even more so, is Windows patch number KB4489899 still pending to be installed on your system? The first patch I listed causes issues in some games including in Destiny 2. Perhaps that's why.

JasonH81

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Did you recently install Windows patch number KB4482887? Even more so, is Windows patch number KB4489899 still pending to be installed on your system? The first patch I listed causes issues in some games including in Destiny 2. Perhaps that's why.

Thanks for the response I'll check. I usually keep my PC updated.