Question Why am I not getting 99% GPU Usage?

Apexpulse

Commendable
Jan 8, 2022
I'm playing Battlefield 2042 on Ultra Graphics 1920x1080 DLSS Max Quality and Ray Tracing On. My GPU Usage hovers around 60-80% even though in the Nvidia Control Panel I have set Power Management Mode to "Prefer Max Performance"

I have already tried updating my GeForce Drivers to the latest driver 511.23

I am using an RTX 2080 Ti in "OC" mode in GIGABYTE Auoros Engine

i9-9900K @ 5GHz (Voltage set to Auto ~ 1.4V)
Noctua NH-D15
16GB PNY Anarchy X RAM 3200MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce OC
Asrock Z370 Extreme4
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 4TB
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

you will never see the majority of games staying at 100% for long, if ever, no matter what GPU/CPU you have.
the most i've seen over my last three builds usually maxed ~96%, usually hover in the lower 90s, but dip into the 70s on occasion.

sitting at 60-80% the majority of the time could just mean that the card is not being supplied with enough data at a fast enough rate to need to go any higher.
if your games are installed on an old HDD that could be one of causes.

Last edited:

Apexpulse

Commendable
Jan 8, 2022
Using V-Sync or any fps limiter?

Is it only this game?

Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results

I am not using v-sync or any fps limiter.

In Destiny 2 it stays above 90 to 99%

Here is my userbenchmark result: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49757990

you will never see the majority of games staying at 100% for long, if ever, no matter what GPU/CPU you have.
the most i've seen over my last three builds usually maxed ~96%, usually hover in the lower 90s, but dip into the 70s on occasion.

sitting at 60-80% the majority of the time could just mean that that the card is not being supplied with enough data at a fast enough rate to need to go any higher.
if your games are installed on an old HDD that could be one of causes.

The games are on my 1TB NVMe SSD boot drive

This is not an idea, its an answer. Assuming that the game is decently optimized, if your graphics card is not being pinned at 100% that means it requires more from the CPU, which could be waiting on the RAM, which could be waiting on the storage device. If you looked at your CPU usage you will notice that 1-8 cores are going to be pinned at nearly 100% usage. I am not familiar with how many cores that game has been coded for but lets say its 4 cores. If you are getting significantly less than 100% usage on the GPU but 4 cores are all 90%+ then the GPU is waiting for the CPU to provide it with what it needs to do more work.

TRENDING THREADS