Question Why am i not getting the speeds im paying for?

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I recently upgraded to Spectrums 1 gb plan and they sent me a Spectrum ET2551 DOCSIS eMTA 2.5G modem in the mail. I activated the modem just fine but I'm still getting my old internet speeds (500 mb wireless and 500 ish Ethernet). I called Spectrum and they pinged my modem and apparently the modem is shooting out 1GB speeds just fine but yet I can't get a LAN connection with 1 gb speeds which my router is capable of shooting out (router is a TP-Link AC2600 router). Spectrum said that my router should be fine and the router is advertised 1 GB Ethernet.

I thought maybe it was the Ethernet cables maybe but I ended up having cat 8 ethernet cables which can handle 1 gb speeds effortlessly. I'm not really sure what's going on here. I'm content with my wireless speeds but I want the gigabit LAN I'm paying for.

kanewolf

Titan
I recently upgraded to Spectrums 1 gb plan and they sent me a Spectrum ET2551 DOCSIS eMTA 2.5G modem in the mail. I activated the modem just fine but I'm still getting my old internet speeds (500 mb wireless and 500 ish Ethernet). I called Spectrum and they pinged my modem and apparently the modem is shooting out 1GB speeds just fine but yet I can't get a LAN connection with 1 gb speeds which my router is capable of shooting out (router is a TP-Link AC2600 router). Spectrum said that my router should be fine and the router is advertised 1 GB Ethernet.

I thought maybe it was the Ethernet cables maybe but I ended up having cat 8 ethernet cables which can handle 1 gb speeds effortlessly. I'm not really sure what's going on here. I'm content with my wireless speeds but I want the gigabit LAN I'm paying for.
I would start by connecting a wired PC to the modem and verifying that you can get 1Gb that way. If you can't then there is no way you will with your router.
If you get 1Gb above, then I would recommend a factory reset of the router. You can enable features that can limit performance. Set a minimum configuration, just admin password, WIFI SSID(s) and WIFI passwords. Nothing else. Then test with a wired connection.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I would start by connecting a wired PC to the modem and verifying that you can get 1Gb that way. If you can't then there is no way you will with your router.
If you get 1Gb above, then I would recommend a factory reset of the router. You can enable features that can limit performance. Set a minimum configuration, just admin password, WIFI SSID(s) and WIFI passwords. Nothing else. Then test with a wired connection.

My router had actually ended up crapping the bed this afternoon (Had a solid red light and it couldn't connect to our modem anymore) so the router could have been faulty. I did hook it up directly to my desktop though and got 1.1 gb/s so I bought a new router at Walmart (TP Link AX4400) and my internet is working again and I'm getting nearly 1 GB wirelessly on my wife's computer as well.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
So does Cat5e.
But the bigger number is better, right?
Wrong.

There is so much fake junk around, especially around "Cat6, Cat7, Cat8"

A good quality Cat5e is all you need.

I didn't know I know absolutely nothing about Networking. Luckily I didn't pay very much for the cables I think I got them on Newegg for $3-$4 each a few years ago. I don't remember exactly how expensive they were.