Question Why am i only getting 40 FPS with the newest CPU & GPU installed ?

Sep 16, 2022
I have a Intel i7-12700k CPU just bought about 3 months ago, along with a ASUS - RTX 308010GB bought about the same time. This is my first time ever putting a pc together but im 99% sure i did everything properly seeing as how everything runs correctly just needs a couple settings or something im thinking tweaked a bit. I also have 64gb Corsair vengence Ram and i have a PNY 2TB m.2 4x4 and a Crucial 4TB 3d NAND SSD as a back up for all my memory and a 850W PSU. Im using a ASUS TUF - 4K Monitor to top it all off and yes ive even tried lowering it from 4k to even 1080 and i only get just a few frames more.

So as you can see i kinda went all out one could say as my first PC and am really stumped as what the heck is going on and starting to feel like this was all just a BIG waste of money. So can ANYONE please explain to me why i still only get 40 FPS on Red Dead Redemption 2 if im lucky? And even then itll dip down to 30 sometimes. Other games i play are Destiny2 and Elden Ring which i get around the same FPS maybe itll go up to 50 sometimes but mostly stays in the 40 range.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I POSTED SOME PICS DOWN BELOW TO SHOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yXSVAwuLCwd7KyRC8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XYo7DAe9EnvH57Wh8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y6pCq1P6eZenDrce6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AnHRFQP3rCWctqwXA

Last edited:

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
RDR2 is not a good game to test fps with a baseline, it is simply not optimized well and is a lot more cpu heavy.
Anyway, as kerberos said, a fresh windows install is ideal if you hadn't done so in a while. Windows will naturally degrade overtime.
As borris said, you should make sure your monitor is plugged into your gpu, rather than the mobo. Also, the Nvidia Control Panel has options for fps limiting, make sure the refresh rate is at the desired setting. If all this checks out and the problem persists, try messing with the vsync and antialiasing options in both the game and the NCP. Both are extremely demanding and vsync has much more efficient alternatives now, such as gsync, which the 3080 is capable of, if your monitor also is.

Game performance is gated by the cpu or the gpu.
Both of yours are top of the line.

On the cpu side, what is your cpu cooler and what is the make/model of your case?

If you were thermal throttling, you could have symptoms that you describe.
Run Hwmonitor.
Look at the minimum temperature. It should be perhaps 10-15c. over ambient.

After running your game, look at the max temperature.
If you see 100c. in red, it means that you have throttled and recovered.

On the gpu side, have you installed a current graphics driver for your gpu?

Sep 16, 2022
Game performance is gated by the cpu or the gpu.
Both of yours are top of the line.

On the cpu side, what is your cpu cooler and what is the make/model of your case?

If you were thermal throttling, you could have symptoms that you describe.
Run Hwmonitor.
Look at the minimum temperature. It should be perhaps 10-15c. over ambient.

After running your game, look at the max temperature.
If you see 100c. in red, it means that you have throttled and recovered.

On the gpu side, have you installed a current graphics driver for your gpu?
i will try those out tonight and yes i have a fresh install of drivers and windows. and for my cpu cooler i have a brand new Corsair hydro series 120mm radiator CPU liquid cooling system and its all put together in a Cooler Master MasterBox MCB NR600-KGNN-S00 ATX mid tower case.

Sorry for the long details just re writing what the title says on my receipts

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A 120mm AIO by any brand is @ 140w capacity. The 12700K is fully capable of closer to 190w. If you check your temps (use CoreTemp or HWInfo64/sensors only) I'll bet when gaming you are well into throttle temps and the resultant lack of performance is what's killing the fps.

Reactions: Flayed
Sep 16, 2022
There are some graphics setting behind a toggle switch in RDR2 with a warning saying something like these settings will affect performance a lot. Did you turn on the toggle and enable those settings?
well even when i play CyberPunk i only get 30-35 FPS and even somthing like Destiny 2 im only getting 40-50 if im lucky.

well even when i play CyberPunk i only get 30-35 FPS and even somthing like Destiny 2 im only getting 40-50 if im lucky.
That can happen if your CPU gets too hot it will slow down to reduce the temperature as Karadjgne said above. You should check to see if this is what is happening. Install HWinfo64 and have it run in sensor mode while you play your games, then you can see what temperature the CPU runs at and whether it is thermally throttling.

Sep 21, 2022
You might also check the cable. If you are running HDMI, it may not have the band width. Can you run a DisplayPort instead? I only suggest this because I bought a Super Ultra Wide monitor (AOC AGON AG493UCX 49) and a laptop with a GTX 1650 card. When I hooked it up, It would not go full screen. The laptop seller said I needed to use a DisplayPort cable, which my laptop did not support. So I had to trade for one same model that had a mini display port output. It works like a charm now.

on rtx 3080 it would be hardly hdmi bandwith limitation, it wouldnt limit fps aswell
fps limit with his gpu would be cpu/ram bottleneck
we hawent seen any benchmarks, so all answers can be just guesses

can you show some benchmarks? like 3dmark or userbenchmark
also screenshot from gpu-z