Question Why are APUs cheaper than CPU. and will it limit my GPU?

Dec 27, 2022
I just got myself an RX 6600 and combined it with my Ryzen 2400g APU. Since it has an obvious bottleneck, i've been wanting to get a 5600 since i heard its a great combo. However, it seems odd to me that the 5600g version is cheaper since it also has intergrated graphics.

Will the APU give me lower performance compared to the CPU?

Lutfij

Titan
Why? Because AMD have found out that there's a market whereby users just need a basic display for 1080p video output(or slightly higher) and gaming at 720p, also means they don't go buying a competitors discrete GPU.

The other thing to note, is that not all regions will have the same sort of pricing. Some regions might favor newer tech while others might even want to clear their old inventory if they have any. It could also be due to regional economic conditions, meaning their disposable income isn't as high.

Might want to you pass on your proposed build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Reactions: CountMike
One of the main limitations of the 2400g is PCIe bandwidth to a discrete GPU is 8 lanes wide; the 5600G does not so a discrete GPU gets 16 full lanes. The 5600G limits the GPU and NVME to Gen 3 bandwidth while the 5600 lets them enjoy Gen 4 on a 500 series MoBo. But Gen 4 has proven to be of very limited benefit to GPU gaming performance and only slightly more to a NVME so, with a discrete GPU in the system, the main relevant concern will be for CPU performance.

The 5600G has a higher base clock frequency but provide adequate cooling for either one and that won't come in to play as a performance limiter. The 5600 has double the cache which can have significant benefit in many processing scenarios including gaming. They both respond very well to PBO overclocking although ultimate results are, as always, dependent on an individual sample's silicon quality.

As with the 2400g one advantage of the 5600G in conjunction with a discrete GPU is the iGPU is still functional so you can use it for various GPU compute tasks or second display even while using the discrete GPU for gaming. In that sense, a 5600G would have overall superior utility or performance potential to a system with a 5600. But keep in mind that doing so will add to the heat load on the die which can have significant performance impact overall.

In general, I'd go for the 5600 to pair with a discrete GPU unless you need a second display while gaming, something not normally practical on budget systems.

You might benefit from reading a review article comparing these two processor on CPU performance.

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
I just got myself an RX 6600 and combined it with my Ryzen 2400g APU. Since it has an obvious bottleneck, i've been wanting to get a 5600 since i heard its a great combo. However, it seems odd to me that the 5600g version is cheaper since it also has intergrated graphics.

The 5600G and the 5600 are not equal. There are differences between them.

The general fact is, assuming both sides are exactly the same performance wise, an APU consumes less power, requires less cooling, and is cheaper than a CPU + GPU pair. An APU is also slightly faster, too, due to lower latency.