[SOLVED] Why are mouse trending to be lighter?

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
To those who has little physics knowledge, the mass,kg does not affect how fast the object move
What matters is the friction between mouse and surface

Say you have a 1kg very heavy mouse and a 10gram mouse , on same surface , force use to move is the same
We apply horizontal force and weight is vertical downwards so the 2 forces will never interfere

Solution
To those who has little physics knowledge, the mass,kg does not affect how fast the object move

Say you have a 1kg very heavy mouse and a 10gram mouse , on same surface , force use to move is the same
We apply horizontal force and weight is vertical downwards so the 2 forces will never interfere

But more weight adds more friction to the surface, and it also takes more effort to move that weight in general. Or are you saying if you put a 1 ton rock on a table and a 10 kg rock on the same table you will be able to move them equally easily? I guess if you assume things are in 0 gravity, on a very smooth surface and in a vacuum then the core physics of moving a heavy mouse...

USAFRet

Titan
It is easier and faster for you to move a lighter mouse.

Starting from rest, it takes more force to get a heavy object moving, vs a lighter one.
SImilarly, it takes more muscle to stop that heavier object, once it IS moving.

The force is NOT the same.

It's easier to make a lighter weight mouse have less friction. You know, physics and stuff.

Reactions: rgd1101
F=ma

Increase the mass and you reduce the acceleration when force is the same. Also applies to decelerating.

Also as someone who plays a lot of FPS games for me a lighter mouse allows me to be more accurate. I’m not speculating why but just my first hand observation.

But more weight adds more friction to the surface, and it also takes more effort to move that weight in general. Or are you saying if you put a 1 ton rock on a table and a 10 kg rock on the same table you will be able to move them equally easily? I guess if you assume things are in 0 gravity, on a very smooth surface and in a vacuum then the core physics of moving a heavy mouse vs a light one would be the exact same. On our planet with gravity pulling on things giving them mass, that mass does matter.

Solution