Question Why are my frames in CS:GO so terrible for my specs?

jacobfett21

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
I have a gtx 1050 and just recently installed an i5 6700k into my system. However I have extremely low fps in csgo for these specs (60-120fps only). I've looked up benchmark tests for csgo with my specs and systems with worse specs and they get way more fps than me, even on higher resolutions and graphic settings. In fact on my old rig i was using a gtx 750ti and an i3 7100 and was able to consistently achieve 200fps. Does anyone know why I could be getting such bad performance in this game?

For the people who know what they are talking about I'll be able to answer any specific questions

Thanks

Last edited:
First of all, how do all other PC games perform on your new system/RIG, apart from CS:GO ? Do they also lag/stutter or perform poorly with low frame rates ? This is assuming you play other some graphic demanding games on your PC as well.

Is it just CS: GO ? If other games also perform poorly, then there might be some issue with your system settings, be it NVCP, Windows power management, or maybe some app or background program/software which might be creating some LAG.

I'm just making a guess though. On what screen resolution are you playing CS:GO, 1080p, 1440p, or 4K, because this title is mostly CPU bound/intensive ?

Last edited:

jacobfett21

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
First of all, how do all other PC games perform on your new system/RIG, apart from CS:GO ? Do they also lag/stutter or perform poorly with low frame rates ? This is assuming you play other graphic demanding games on your PC as well.

Is it just CS: GO ?
I really don't play any other games.

I occasionally play Paladins. I wouldn't call it a graphics demanding game at all however I have not seen an improvement in frames since I have upgraded my processor, when i believe my frames should have improved. (I went from an i3 7100 to an i5 7600k i forgot to mention). I don't play any other games

EDIT: I do not believe it is just CS:GO, I have in my opinion nearly perfectly optimized the game for maximum performance and have been let down

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you reset your bios after swapping cpus? And have you gone through things like windows power plan etc and made sure you now have a 4core cpu working like a 4core cpu should, and not like it's picking up the tab for the older i3?

And I get a solid 300fps on my i7-3770K and gtx970, but you'll not get that unless you get some OC on the cpu, CSGO fps is very responsive to Intel GHz. I'm at 4.6GHz. With your IPC you'd need to be up around 4.4 or better.

Gotta understand that fps is all cpu. And CSGO only uses 2-3 threads. So if that i3 had equitable GHz to the i5, then you'll not see much in the way of improvement overall. The biggest difference visibly will be graphics detail settings, with a 1050ti you'll be able to go through GeForce Experience and set a 4k DSR. Drops the fps, but graphically way smoother.

Last edited:

jacobfett21

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
I wasn't referring to CS:GO though, when I mentioned "graphic demanding", but other games instead...:D
I wasn't either, I was referring to Paladins. I think you read my reply incorrectly, or I'm interpreting yours wrong lol.

Did you reset your bios after swapping cpus? And have you gone through things like windows power plan etc and made sure you now have a 4core cpu working like a 4core cpu should, and not like it's picking up the tab for the older i3?

And I get a solid 300fps on my i7-3770K and gtx970, but you'll not get that unless you get some OC on the cpu, CSGO fps is very responsive to Intel GHz. I'm at 4.6GHz. With your IPC you'd need to be up around 4.4 or better.

Gotta understand that fps is all cpu. And CSGO only uses 2-3 threads. So if that i3 had equitable GHz to the i5, then you'll not see much in the way of improvement overall. The biggest difference visibly will be graphics detail settings, with a 1050ti you'll be able to go through GeForce Experience and set a 4k DSR. Drops the fps, but graphically way smoother.
I did not reset my bios, I'll find out how to do that. And by a chance would you know if there is any way to overclock a cpu on an Asus Strix B250F gaming motherboard?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu pre-renders the frames. It can only pre-render so many frames in a second, that's your max fps. Nothing a gpu can do to make a cpu work faster than it can. The cpu sends those frames to the gpu. The gpu paints the picture according to detail settings and resolution. Sometimes the picture is easy, and if the gpu is strong enough, you'll get max fps. Sometimes the picture is really intensive, like fields of grass or explosions and the gpu can't paint as much per second. So fps drops. Anything that can affect the fps is before the cpu. Game code, slow ram, slow storage etc.

So if the i5 7600k is at 3.8GHz, and the i3 7100bis at 3.9GHz, in CSGO, they'll be almost the same potential fps. Somewhere up close to 300ish. Then it's upto the gpu to get 300fps on the screen. That old 750ti struggled to get 200fps at your detail settings, the 1050ti is somewhat stronger and should be able to get closer to that 300. Just remember, on a 60Hz monitor all you'll get is 60fps, but it'll be a solid 60fps as minimum fps gpu output will be higher than 60.

Reset bios on asus mobo's is easy. At boot, soon as you hit the power button, start mashing (not holding) the Delete key or F1 (it changes according to the actual bios, some are F2 or even F12). If windows starts, you missed it. When you do get into bios, hit F5 and that'll load factory optimized default settings. F10 to save and exit. That'll reset any changes made in the bios to default settings that wouldn't normally get changed with just a hardware swap.

You can only overclock Intel mainstream cpu's if you have A) an unlocked 'K' series cpu and B) a 'Z' series motherboard. You have to have both. The B series mobo's have a locked bios, so no OC options are available even if the cpu is overclockable.