[SOLVED] why are my idling temps so high?

rokdoombeast

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
Hello. Today while playing World of Warcraft I noticed people with my setup were running wow at much greater fps than me. (I'm around 70 at max settings in deserted cities, not even raiding or pvp)
When trying to discover what might be making my setup slower I found something interesting: my CPU idle temperatures are 60ºC and my GPU idle temperatures are 67ºC. can anyone give any advice on how I can possibly fix this? my pc already has water-cooling, it isn't normal to idle that high is it?

specs:
i9-9900k
RTX 2080ti
32gb ddr4 ram
750W PSU
dual monitor 1440p 165hz & 1080p 60hz
thank you in advance for the replies!
PS: there is no option to change the fan curve/speeds on the BIOS, and if it helps anyone it's a prebuilt HP Omen Obelisk.

Solution
1)9900K, as you may, or may not have heard, is a hot chip. Intel defines this cpu has having a 95w TDP, or Thermal Design Power.
The system integrators - well, the ones that don't know any better - take that fact, and apply the adequate cooler for the cpu. They are technically correct, using the 120/140mm liquid cooler.
The problem is, Intel's TDP ratings only apply for their cpus across all 16 threads while running at the BASE frequencies - in the case of the 9900K, that's 3.60ghz.
Add Turbo Boost and Turbo Boost 2.0 into the mix, and the 95w TDP may as well be a slice of cake; it's a lie. This cpu can easily pull 200w or more across all 16 threads - a 120/140mm liquid cooler can't cope with that.

You're definitely not using 16...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If it's just like the one in that video, then that's terrible.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD5I-_00TVI

Stupid system integrators following Intel's TDP specs when those only apply with their cpus at base frequencies only.
I'd suggest putting an air cooler in there, because it doesn't look like that chassis supports larger radiators.

To find out what size air cooler the chassis supports, that would require you to remove the cpu block and the old thermal paste, measure from the top of the cpu to the area where the side panel would normally lock in, apply new paste, and re-secure the cpu block.

rokdoombeast

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
If it's just like the one in that video, then that's terrible.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD5I-_00TVI

Stupid system integrators following Intel's TDP specs when those only apply with their cpus at base frequencies only.
I'd suggest putting an air cooler in there, because it doesn't look like that chassis supports larger radiators.

To find out what size air cooler the chassis supports, that would require you to remove the cpu block and the old thermal paste, measure from the top of the cpu to the area where the side panel would normally lock in, apply new paste, and re-secure the cpu block.

could you please elaborate on why is the cooler so terrible? (not doubting you, just want to know why), maybe it would be a better investment to get a better case + a better water cooler?
also if the cooler is the problem, why is my GPU at 67ºC idle?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)9900K, as you may, or may not have heard, is a hot chip. Intel defines this cpu has having a 95w TDP, or Thermal Design Power.
The system integrators - well, the ones that don't know any better - take that fact, and apply the adequate cooler for the cpu. They are technically correct, using the 120/140mm liquid cooler.
The problem is, Intel's TDP ratings only apply for their cpus across all 16 threads while running at the BASE frequencies - in the case of the 9900K, that's 3.60ghz.
Add Turbo Boost and Turbo Boost 2.0 into the mix, and the 95w TDP may as well be a slice of cake; it's a lie. This cpu can easily pull 200w or more across all 16 threads - a 120/140mm liquid cooler can't cope with that.

You're definitely not using 16 threads in WoW, but you don't need to in order to overwhelm the cooler.

2)The Omen Obelisk doesn't have the greatest airflow either - *pointing to that front panel.

3)That's not a high end motherboard in there either. Overclocking isn't an option.

4)The 2080Ti runs toasty too? I see air restriction - *looking at the front panel and the gpu's proximity to the power supply.

5)While your idle temps aren't good, I could imagine the loads also aren't.
The 9900K has a critical limit of 100C. It's frequencies are not affected by operating temps, EXCEPT for the critical.
The 2080Ti, on the other hand, does care about operating temps; the cooler it runs in game, the higher it's boost clocks will be - to an extent. Also, most 20-series gpus thermal throttle around 84C, with the critical at 88C.

Solution

rokdoombeast

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017

You're definitely not using 16 threads in WoW, but you don't need to in order to overwhelm the cooler.

2)The Omen Obelisk doesn't have the greatest airflow either - *pointing to that front panel.

3)That's not a high end motherboard in there either. Overclocking isn't an option.

4)The 2080Ti runs toasty too? I see air restriction - *looking at the front panel and the gpu's proximity to the power supply.

5)While your idle temps aren't good, I could imagine the loads also aren't.
The 9900K has a critical limit of 100C. It's frequencies are not affected by operating temps, EXCEPT for the critical.
The 2080Ti, on the other hand, does care about operating temps; the cooler it runs in game, the higher it's boost clocks will be - to an extent. Also, most 20-series gpus thermal throttle around 84C, with the critical at 88C.

amazingly explained, I guessed the GPU overheating had to do with it being to close to the power supply and the bad airflow the case provides, the CPU I was completely oblivious on why it was running so hot (as a person who had a laptop and upgraded to a PC I thought nothing could go wrong with water cooling, it seemed like even for an i9 wich I knew would be hot it would easly keep it cool).
also, nice portal reference :)