Why are people choosing intel i5 8400?

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
Saw many post on budgets with a decent display cards but dont know why people choosing intel i5 8400 and z370 over b360

Whats good with this cpu?

I heard intel after sandy had bad thermal too and price is not cheap compared to any ryzen, which all can oc with much reasonable priced and comes with good stock cooler

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Because an 8400 + B360 mobo costs about the same as a R5 2600 + B350 mobo, and performs about the same in games (falls between a stock and overclocked 2600, with all 3 being fairly close).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2600,5625-9.html

It's a competitive CPU, it's not a surprise that some people choose it. Also, to get the most out of Ryzen you're best off overclocking at least a bit (although stock performance is still very good) and getting high speed memory, whereas with an 8400 you don't really have to worry about either of those things.

Edit: Are you talking specifically about people buying a Z370 mobo to go with it? Well, for months that was all that was available, and that was before 2nd gen Ryzen came out so Intel still had a bit of an edge for gaming (comparing coffee lake vs 1st gen Ryzen).

The processor market is changing. Until the beginning of 2017 Intel's advantage in the gaming segment was so great that there was virtually no competition and Intel had no reason to make significant improvements. The appearance of Ryzen supposed that things were quite equal. However the launch of Ryzen was not without problems (with the inter-core latency discussion, a poor 1080p gaming performance as well as memory support).

Many of these problems have been solved with the successive improvement of the drivers and especially with the appearance of the second generation of Ryzen. But in the meantime many people opted for Intel and obviously the current difference does not justify the cost of a platform change.

i5-8400 has an advantage. You pair it with a decent DDR4 2666 or higher, any B360 mobo, a decent PSU and the stock cooler (or aftermarket cooler that you have from your old computer, and forget about the rest.

The alternative is Ryzen 5 2600x or Ryzen 5 2600. If you do not like the OC then you should choose Ryzen 5 2600x and you will be in a situation similar to the previous one (with the small difference that it is better that you choose a DDR4 FlareX 3200 to obtain everything Ryzen can give).

If you like the OC choose the Ryzen 5 2600 and with an effort on your part you will get the same as with Ryzen 5 2600x. But do not deceive yourself, you will not save money. You will need a very good mobo a very good PSU and a very good cooler (preferably liquid).

Additionally you have to remember that if you want all the characteristics of the second generation of Ryzen you must use a mobo with X470 (more expensive). You can choose to use a first generation mobo (X370, B350 or A320 without OC) but then remember to make sure that your bios is up to date to support the second generation of Ryzen.

I believe that in the gaming segment the price and performance differences are so small that the choice depends many times on specific circumstances of each case.

Of course, if what is going to devote the pc is to video editing or similar, Ryzen has a significant advantage.