Question Why Are Ram Slots Labelled Differently on Some Motherboards?

May 1, 2023
I have an Asus B550-F ROG Strix with Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3600mhz ddr4 ram, and I noticed that according to my motherboard's manual, the ram slots are labelled:

B1 > B2 > A1 > A2, with B1 being closest to the CPU and A2 being the furthest.

however, I see more images of motherboards or ram configuration listing the slots as: A1 > A2 > B1 > B2, with A1 being the closest to the CPU and B2 being the furthest

is there any specific reason for this or is it just a design choice on Asus' part? in HWInfo, my DIMM sensors are listed as "Bank 1/DIMM_A2", and "Bank 3/DIMM_B2", which means the banks are labeled 4 > 3 > 2 > 1, with 4 being closest to the CPU

in games, Bank 3/B2 seems to be hotter than Bank 1/A2 by about 2 or 3 degrees, so I assume that B2 is indeed closer to the CPU. is there any specific reason for this? I see more images labelling the ram slots 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 and A1 > A2 > B1 > B2, from CPU to the front of the case

my B550-F labels them 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 and B1 > B2 > A1 > A2, from CPU to the front

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
is there any specific reason for this or is it just a design choice on Asus' part?
There is no set standard on how RAM channels must be placed on a MoBo (e.g which order).

E.g my MSI Z170A Gaming M5 MoBo has it; (counting from CPU): Channel A1, A2, B1, B2.
And if i use 2 RAM sticks, i need to plug them into A2 and B2 slots. But since i have 4 RAM sticks, it doesn't matter for me.

Just read your MoBo manual where to put the RAM, when using less DIMMs than there are RAM slots.

Reactions: PEnns

TRENDING THREADS