Why are used GPUs so expensive?

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I am not really looking for a new GPU but I would like to get some thoughts on why there are no good deals on used cards anymore. For example I just checked eBay for used r9 285s and the cheapest was $200 but just a month ago my brother bought a r9 380 new off newegg for ~$160 with rebate. They are basically the same expect the new one is cheaper slightly better and has a warranty. Same problem with used 780tis they cost the same used as a used 970 (about $270) and preform almost the same but the 780ti takes more electricity and has less vram, and what's worse is that right now newegg has a new 970 on sale with rebate for $270. So where is the incentive to buy used?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Don't confuse asking price with what the cards are actually going for. Look at the ones actually up for bid and with little time remining, and then check what the highest bids are. There are lots of folks out there that think they can re-coup their investment by asking nearly new price. Usually, they don't sell.

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

You have a good point, but after checking the recently sold r9 285s and 780tis I found that r9 285s sold anywhere between $250 ( rip off ) and $149. So yeah you are completely right when it comes to the 285. Surprisingly 780tis are being bought for about $300 which isn't a good price compared to buying new.

Thanks for the input.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
When I upgraded from my 780 I sold it for $230 on CL and I had that card for years but took amazing care of it, also had everything it came with and cleaned it very well. GPU's can last so long, they often hold a decent value if a high end card, its surprising.