Why Aren't Games Running Faster?

Gun33boy

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hey guys, today I have a basic question. With my current PC build, why aren't games running faster? I put about $900 in this thing, and I feel like I have the right parts, but I'm having trouble running games at the graphics I would prefer. Here's my basic build: AMD FX 6300 CPU, Sapphire Radeon HD7770 GHz OC edition(over clocked at 1300 MHz), 8 gb Samsung RAM, GIGABYTE GA-78LMT - USB3 motherboard, and a Logysis 480 watt PSU. From what I can tell, it seems like a pretty decent gaming rig.(I may be wrong). I have all my CPU cores unparked, and as I said before, my GPU is OC'ed at 1300MHz. I only run one game at a time, and close off all windows before gaming so my rig can put all it's effort into that game. Also, I run windows 7, if that makes any difference. Still, I have to run most newer games at medium to low quality to get near the 60fps threshold I want in my games. Here are some benchmarks of random games I play: ---- Battlefield 4(running on low, but 1080p)- 65 or 70fps on a 64 player game. Titanfall(low quality but 1080p)- 45 to 60 fps. Planetside 2(high settings but 1600x900)- 50 to 60fps in normal fights, but as low as 35 in big fights. Battlefield Hardline Beta,"I was lucky enough to get a key"(low settings at 1600x900)- 40 fps. ----- So as you can see, I have to run most games on low if I want to play competitively. And as far as recording,(fraps) I can't begin to record my gameplay without horrible lag. So, is there something wrong with my rig? Or is my computer just not that great? Hopefully, you guys can give me some input, so I can understand this better. Thanks for any replies!

Solution
One thing you better change right away is that very poor power supply.

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one.

A-TOP Technology
Apevia
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Coolmax
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA
Dynex
EagleTech
FOXCONN
FSP Everest
HEC Orion
Hiper Type-R
Huntkey
I-Star Computer Co. Ltd
In Win
JPAC COMPUTER
Just PC
Kingwin Inc.
Linkworld Electronics
Logisys Computer :bounce:
MGE
MSI
NMEDIAPC
Norwood Micro/ CompUSA
NorthQ
NZXT
Okia
Powmax
Q-Tec...

sheag123

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
those numbers seem about right, amd is starting to show some strain as their cores are less powerful than intel's. your gpu is also mid range at best. to me it doesnt seem slower than it should to be honest. have you tried overclocking the cpu and gpu?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
One thing you better change right away is that very poor power supply.

Tier 5 - Other than the units listed above for any of these brands, NOT RECOMMENDED. Replace ASAP if you have one.

A-TOP Technology
Apevia
APEX (SUPERCASE/ALLIED)
Aspire(Turbo Case)
ATADC
Athena Power
ATRIX
Broadway Com Corp
Coolmax
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower USA