[SOLVED] Why can I only use one GPU?

Jan 23, 2021
Hi guys

I sometimes buy used graphics cards to use them for builds and so on.

I haven't build me a test bench yet, so I use my own PC for testing the GPUs. I run a 3060 with a B550 Tomahawk Motherboard.

My question is - if I plug another GPU in my second PCI-E slot (with power cables and evetything) I am never able to get a display signal, even though I plug the cable directly into the second GPU. Why is that?

When I move the same (used) GPU into the first slot and thereby replacing my 3060 everything works fine.

Just on a side note here - My purpose is of course not to gain more power or run SLI.I just need to run a few tests and benchmarks.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
  • 1x PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E1) 1
  • 1x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E3), supports x4 speed 2
  • 2x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots

1. The supported specification depends on installed processor.
  2. When installing devices in M.2_2, PCI_E2 & PCI_E3 slots at the same time, PCI_E3 slot will be unavailable, and M2_2 slot only supports PCIe x2.
^ from here. Might want to read here about SLI as well.

To add, you should also list the entire specs for your build. Include the make and model of your PSU, not just the wattage.

Lutfij

Titan
  • 1x PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E1) 1
  • 1x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E3), supports x4 speed 2
  • 2x PCIe 3.0 x1 slots

1. The supported specification depends on installed processor.
  2. When installing devices in M.2_2, PCI_E2 & PCI_E3 slots at the same time, PCI_E3 slot will be unavailable, and M2_2 slot only supports PCIe x2.
^ from here. Might want to read here about SLI as well.

To add, you should also list the entire specs for your build. Include the make and model of your PSU, not just the wattage.

Solution
Jan 23, 2021
Thanks for the swift replies!

I use the following specs:
Ryzen 3600
Corsair TX750W
32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM
RTX 3060
MSI B550 Tomahawk MB
2 x SN550 1TB NVMe SSD

So I can't use two GPUs at the same time for testing purposes?