Question Why can't I add another storage device to my PC ?

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
firstly, i am french Canadian residing in the Philippines...
i have a pc with an amd apu.. 7680 i believe.. motherboard sais "onda" but i am unfamiliar with it...

the mobo only has 3 sata connections on 1 corner.. all populated

1 is the main ssd.. a kingston 256gb...
2.. seagate 2tb hdd
3...laptop sized hdd 320gb
additionally i have a hdd dock with a 320gb laptop hdd
external hdd in the rear 500gb..
a laptop hdd connected via sata to usb.. forgot how big...

but if i try connecting 1 more hdd.. and ive tried 3...
they become corrupt...
i understand that the motherboard is physically only able to handle 3 drives but there are other ways to get around this..

did i reach some kind of threshhold ???
btw. windows 11

and if you really need to know why.. its because.. i can :)
if a motherboard model number is required.. please let me know and i will see what i can do...

Lutfij

Titan
Use CPU-Z to tell you have to work with. Please pass on a screenshot of your motherboard's tab. If this is a prebuilt, please pass on a link to the prebuilt machine.

I don't think it's a threshold, I think your USB ports are unable to deliver adequate power to your devices(external storage).

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Use CPU-Z to tell you have to work with. Please pass on a screenshot of your motherboard's tab. If this is a prebuilt, please pass on a link to the prebuilt machine.

I don't think it's a threshold, I think your USB ports are unable to deliver adequate power to your devices(external storage).
on it....

FYI.. i did replace the psu today.. the previous model was YGT 750 something.. i onw use Antec meta 550v...

in addition the hdd dock has its own power supply...just thought id mention that...

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"electrically buzzing". Not good.

That is a sign of an electrical short and the resulting current flow(s) are dangerous.

Electricity is flowing where it should not be going. At some time or another the current may find a path from the PC, through the end user (you), and then to ground (earth). Electrical shock. More than a "buzz". That can end badly.

Shut down and unplug the system.

You will need an electrician or someone with the applicable knowledge, skills, and equipment to locate the source of the electrical current that you feel.

If you are not able to find someone then take the computer to a shop for the necessary testing.

Such problems do not fix themselves and may well become worse.

Reactions: PEnns

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
"electrically buzzing". Not good.

That is a sign of an electrical short and the resulting current flow(s) are dangerous.

Electricity is flowing where it should not be going. At some time or another the current may find a path from the PC, through the end user (you), and then to ground (earth). Electrical shock. More than a "buzz". That can end badly.

Shut down and unplug the system.

You will need an electrician or someone with the applicable knowledge, skills, and equipment to locate the source of the electrical current that you feel.

If you are not able to find someone then take the computer to a shop for the necessary testing.

Such problems do not fix themselves and may well become worse.
you are correct.. it is most likely because the grounding prong that goes into the wall outlet doesnt actually touch anything.. i did put wire on that prong and leave a wire to the floor...
as well.. a wire in the back of psu to the metal legs of my table... i thoughtthat had fixed my issue.. however i still have occasional usb issues...

Ralston18

Titan
No.

Do not ground the PSU to the metal table: 1) the table is not grounded and 2) the most likely result will be current flow from the table through you to ground. That will certainly end badly.

Disconnect it all and get an electrician to connect a proper ground per local code.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
No.

Do not ground the PSU to the metal table: 1) the table is not grounded and 2) the most likely result will be current flow from the table through you to ground. That will certainly end badly.

Disconnect it all and get an electrician to connect a proper ground per local code.
ordered a GFCI plug.. will attempt to jam it in myself.. if you see a huge mushroom cloud in southeast asia, that is probably me.. the only thing i dont like about the gfci.. is that it cuts power altogether in the case of a surge ??? or a electrical fault ? event ? if i understand correctly.. a ground is needed in the event an electronic device does not function correctly.. .. so it sends that particular "watt" or whatever to the "ground" prong which is supposed to be connected to a copper rod that is buried 1 meter into the ground....how am i doing so far for someone that took this grounding thing for granted for so long ?

PS cute that you assumed that Philippines has ANY kind of "local code"

Ralston18

Titan
GFCI installations can be tricky.

The connections are not necessary"one for one" with respect to a ordinary electrical outlet.

If you attempt the install yourself pay close attention to Load and Line connections.

Sketch out the full circuit including all outlets and switches. Read instructions carefully and plan ahead.

Take photographs, lable wires, etc...

All the more so if the electrical codes are sketchy and/or non-existent.

As for ground (earth) I suggest expanding the sketch to include the entire residence and circuits therein.

You may do something correct (where it was wrong before) and inadvertantly create another problem.

Electrician recommended.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
GFCI installations can be tricky.

The connections are not necessary"one for one" with respect to a ordinary electrical outlet.

If you attempt the install yourself pay close attention to Load and Line connections.

Sketch out the full circuit including all outlets and switches. Read instructions carefully and plan ahead.

Take photographs, lable wires, etc...

All the more so if the electrical codes are sketchy and/or non-existent.

As for ground (earth) I suggest expanding the sketch to include the entire residence and circuits therein.

You may do something correct (where it was wrong before) and inadvertantly create another problem.

Electrician recommended.
i completely agree with you that a proffesional electricial is advised.. i would LOVE to settle for a certified electrician.. but my family comes from the slavic part of Europe and although born in Canada i was raised by everyone to learn and do it myself.. hell i replaced the engine on my 1991 Toyota Tercel all by myself.. and the lil devil ran for another 7 years... in MOST countries.. black cable is phase 1 live power.. white is neutral... connect everything to where it belongs and electric tape around it, pray to Ryan Reynolds and ram it back it in... as long as i flip all the circuit breakers off.. nothing should really zap me.. feel free to add anything else i might need...

Ralston18

Titan
Turning off the circuit breaker(s) per se is not the problem.

The problem is what may happen when the breakers are turned on again.

True that you may may be able to fix something. But that can run afoul of something else (unknown to you) and another problem is created.

Consider that there are other likely "code violations" or connections that simply violate basic rules and common sense.

What you "might need"..... I recommend mapping out all of the circuits, breakers, outlets, switches, etc. in your residence.

Use a multi-meter to check and verify what you find.

Leave nothing to chance.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Turning off the circuit breaker(s) per se is not the problem.

The problem is what may happen when the breakers are turned on again.

True that you may may be able to fix something. But that can run afoul of something else (unknown to you) and another problem is created.

Consider that there are other likely "code violations" or connections that simply violate basic rules and common sense.

What you "might need"..... I recommend mapping out all of the circuits, breakers, outlets, switches, etc. in your residence.

Use a multi-meter to check and verify what you find.

Leave nothing to chance.
i agree with you, however i dont think the landlord would appreciate opening my panel and yanking everything out... it was difficult enough convincing her to allow me to install a GFCI... she is kind enough giving me equal treatment me being caucasia and all.. the US and Spanish occupation left a bad after taste in the great people residing here towards foreigners....

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure what else to suggest.

As for people there in the Phillipines having issues with caucasions and past occupations , I do not know aside from some historical sense of what happened there during WWII.

In any case, such discussions would be off topic and not applicable or appropriate for this Forum.

Hopefully the landlord will eventually realize that fixing things is in her best interest as well.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Not sure what else to suggest.

As for people there in the Phillipines having issues with caucasions and past occupations , I do not know aside from some historical sense of what happened there during WWII.

In any case, such discussions would be off topic and not applicable or appropriate for this Forum.

Hopefully the landlord will eventually realize that fixing things is in her best interest as well.
no need to suggest anything other than steps to take to avoid not getting electrocuted...
im sorry if i veered off topic, im just an "informative guy"
and Philippine history is readily available to anyone online...

i have access to the breaker panel but have little to go on.. which is why i said id have to "yank" everything out.. nothing is labled.. just cables .. and of course no.. umm "bar" or any visible green cables....so that tells me.. no ground :)

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
feel free to take a look, maybe you have some of that superman vision that i dont
panel.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Br03zhk/panel.jpg" alt="panel" border="0"></a>

Ralston18

Titan
No superman vision needed.

Just seeing the wires crossing through the bottom right breaker postion tells me that the wiring is not as it should be.

And those two open positions should be "capped" as I understand such things.

Plus the panel is showing signs of moisture and corrosion.

Not going to make any suggestions regarding repair or other actions regarding the panel or overall electrical system.

Do not touch. Do not try to fix things yourself. Could make it worse and you would be liable.

What is needed is a competent, qualified electrician familar with local codes (such as they may or may not be) who can diagnose the problem(s), fix them, and thus prevent you or someone else from being electrocuted.

If that cannot be done then I would be looking for a safer place to live.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012

Just seeing the wires crossing through the bottom right breaker postion tells me that the wiring is not as it should be.

Not going to make any suggestions regarding repair or other actions regarding the panel or overall electrical system.

Do not touch. Do not try to fix things yourself. Could make it worse and you would be liable.

What is needed is a competent, qualified electrician familar with local codes (such as they may or may not be) who can diagnose the problem(s), fix them, and thus prevent you or someone else from being electrocuted.

Philippines is a rather humid country if you never had a chance to pay a visit...
getting an electrician isnt an issue.. a Qualified electrician is an entirely different story... generally they go abroad the moment they get their diplomas...

landlord already knows about her electricity issues.. she wont hold me liable if i get electrocuted.. part of life.. and if the GFCI doesnt work out.. ill just put the original plug back in its place and if everything goes as planned.. nothing should go wrong...

im trying to get my issue taken care of as cheaply as possible.. being the penny pincher that i am :)...

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012

may i ask if you yourself are an electrician ??? quick question does every outlet have 2 live and 2 neutral going to it.. (1 for each plug).. well here.. they just had a 10 cm wire going to the other outlet.. but.. yeah.. GFCI in.. long live Canada , so on and so forth... but just to mention there was a 1 second buzzing the first time i pressed the red "reset" button... it never reproduced...
here is an image of what i did to reproduce exactly what i had in the wall

436552677-1174977596884465-411483344480592431-n.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
No - not an electrian (full disclosure).

I can and have done basic installs and repairs in the past per US codes etc.. My house has aluminum wiring, Special issues there. I have needed and have gotten professional help accordingly. Have some more to do soon. And must follow current USA codes and practices.

In any case, I would be remiss if I did not mention or ask about things that do not look right to me.

E.g., seeing the wires crossing through the breaker box. Corrosion, open slots, and so forth.

= = = =

No idea what that image is showing. (Video does not play.)

Stranded wire and using some sort of push in connection - likely not to code and/or best practices.

If there are any......

Would need to see the other sides, other wires, and the installation in context to even make a guess.

= = = =

Plugs (outlets) can be wired differently. Depends on the requirements. E.g., one half switched, the other half permanently hot. Could be a plug in a series of plugs or the terminal plug. The number of wires going in and out varying accordingly. Circuit could include lights and switches....

Reproducing connections - key is to be sure that the original device and made connections are correct and safe to begin with.

Grounding/Earthing being an important part of that.