Question Why can't I add another storage device to my PC ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
firstly, i am french Canadian residing in the Philippines...
i have a pc with an amd apu.. 7680 i believe.. motherboard sais "onda" but i am unfamiliar with it...

the mobo only has 3 sata connections on 1 corner.. all populated

1 is the main ssd.. a kingston 256gb...
2.. seagate 2tb hdd
3...laptop sized hdd 320gb
additionally i have a hdd dock with a 320gb laptop hdd
external hdd in the rear 500gb..
a laptop hdd connected via sata to usb.. forgot how big...

but if i try connecting 1 more hdd.. and ive tried 3...
they become corrupt...
i understand that the motherboard is physically only able to handle 3 drives but there are other ways to get around this..

did i reach some kind of threshhold ???
btw. windows 11

and if you really need to know why.. its because.. i can :)
if a motherboard model number is required.. please let me know and i will see what i can do...

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
No - not an electrian (full disclosure).

I can and have done basic installs and repairs in the past per US codes etc.. My house has aluminum wiring, Special issues there. I have needed and have gotten professional help accordingly. Have some more to do soon. And must follow current USA codes and practices.

In any case, I would be remiss if I did not mention or ask about things that do not look right to me.

E.g., seeing the wires crossing through the breaker box. Corrosion, open slots, and so forth.

= = = =

No idea what that image is showing. (Video does not play.)

Stranded wire and using some sort of push in connection - likely not to code and/or best practices.

If there are any......

Would need to see the other sides, other wires, and the installation in context to even make a guess.

= = = =

Plugs (outlets) can be wired differently. Depends on the requirements. E.g., one half switched, the other half permanently hot. Could be a plug in a series of plugs or the terminal plug. The number of wires going in and out varying accordingly. Circuit could include lights and switches....

Reproducing connections - key is to be sure that the original device and made connections are correct and safe to begin with.

Grounding/Earthing being an important part of that.
removed the 2 cables criss crossing in the back of the outlet.. putr it back in.. no power..
took it out. reversed the 2 wires going into the back of the gfci.. no power.. pressing the red reset button does nothin.. however.. the front of the GFCI does have a blue tiny led light indicating that it is currently well connected.. however, no power, worth mentioning that the GND screw has nothing.. because my apt has

Ralston18

Titan
An knowledgeable and skilled electrician is needed.

Someone who knows the electrical systems and has the tools to test for voltages and ground.

And can make proper and safe repairs.

Just a matter of time and circumstance until you or someone else does something and all goes really bad.

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
No - not an electrian (full disclosure).

I can and have done basic installs and repairs in the past per US codes etc.. My house has aluminum wiring, Special issues there. I have needed and have gotten professional help accordingly. Have some more to do soon. And must follow current USA codes and practices.

In any case, I would be remiss if I did not mention or ask about things that do not look right to me.

E.g., seeing the wires crossing through the breaker box. Corrosion, open slots, and so forth.

= = = =

No idea what that image is showing. (Video does not play.)

Stranded wire and using some sort of push in connection - likely not to code and/or best practices.

If there are any......

Would need to see the other sides, other wires, and the installation in context to even make a guess.

= = = =

Plugs (outlets) can be wired differently. Depends on the requirements. E.g., one half switched, the other half permanently hot. Could be a plug in a series of plugs or the terminal plug. The number of wires going in and out varying accordingly. Circuit could include lights and switches....

Reproducing connections - key is to be sure that the original device and made connections are correct and safe to begin with.

Grounding/Earthing being an important part of that.
my apologies that wasnt a video.. it was a screenshot OF a video... well i did install the GFCI.. used it all night long.. but someone said to press the TEST button.. power cut.. i tried pressing the RESET button.. it wil not sink in.. so i power my solar fan (uses grid power at night) and my ups (which has my pc/monitor and modem) both fan and ups are plugged into a power bar ? and that power bar goes to an extention cord connected to another outlet across the room.. and i game like that... and yes i do tap random parts of my pc to make certain there arent any shocks.. none

temporary fix in place and i am satisfied..