[SOLVED] Why can't I get good speed on WiFi, even when close to the router?

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
I have 100 Mbps Internet and I get near to 100 Mbps speed when on LAN. My laptop client supports N & AC and is is connected to the router Dir615 (N) at 200 Mbps (N) and I am just 10 feet away and in clear line of sign of the router. Still on laptop my actual wifi speed does not cross 45 or 50 Mbps.
I do not understand why speed drops on Wifi when the client is connected at a good negotiated speed with router.

I don’t expect it to be exact 100 but may be even 80 85 would be fine too.

I know factors like concrete walls, other objects etc might affect, but in this case it’s very near the router with clear line of sight.
Wifi channel is set to fixed either 1 6 or 11 and channel width is 40Mhz.

Solution
Mostly because you are believing the marketing lies without reading all the fine print. That is about all you can expect from a router like you have. Even the very best routers running on 2.4g will seldom get more than about 70mbps. Even on the 5g on routers that are claiming 2000+ numbers you seldom get over 300mbps on 802.11ac.

200 is not a actual wifi speed. The router you have will likely run at 150 or 300. This though is not really a speed it more represents the way the data is encoded. To start with wifi is half duplex so you tend to never get more than 50% of the encoding rate. There is also a massive amount of overhead for things like headers and error correction bits.

So they may put magic numbers on the box...
Mostly because you are believing the marketing lies without reading all the fine print. That is about all you can expect from a router like you have. Even the very best routers running on 2.4g will seldom get more than about 70mbps. Even on the 5g on routers that are claiming 2000+ numbers you seldom get over 300mbps on 802.11ac.

200 is not a actual wifi speed. The router you have will likely run at 150 or 300. This though is not really a speed it more represents the way the data is encoded. To start with wifi is half duplex so you tend to never get more than 50% of the encoding rate. There is also a massive amount of overhead for things like headers and error correction bits.

So they may put magic numbers on the box but you will never get even close to those numbers. The only way you are going to get 100mbps is to use the 5g band. The key reason it is faster is because it can use 80mhz wide channels. That more than anything else makes 802.11ac faster than 802.11n. That is also what makes the newest 802.11ax (ie wifi6 and wifi6e) even faster since it runs 160mhz channels.

Reactions: ravin_29
Solution

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Perhaps... but my connection is 200MB.
On a speed test, I can get 210MB at some points on my mesh network.

Thus whatever is written all over the box is irrelevant, I pay for a speed and get that regularly.
The difference between it and 100 though is negligible as I assume the device can't load whatever it needs to quick enough.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Perhaps... but my connection is 200MB.
On a speed test, I can get 210MB at some points...

Thus whatever is written all over the box is irrelevant, I pay for a speed and get that regularly.
The difference between it and 100 though is negligible as I assume the device can't load whatever it needs to quick enough.
You are hyjacking this thread. You did not start it, don't make it about your issues.

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
You are hyjacking this thread. You did not start it, don't make it about your issues.
The part you quoted was a passing comment, I didn't ask for help regarding it but felt it added to the point I made about mesh networks NOT just being a marketing buzz word.
Sorry for having an opinion and thinking it worthwhile sharing being as open and balanced as I could...