Why can't I record gameplay?

May 18, 2018
Hello, my computer is pretty old so I know I need to upgrade pretty much everything but I wonder why I can't record Rocket League. I get 90+ FPS when I play and sometimes when I try to record with Fraps on low settings it just get stucks at 1 FPS or something. Sometimes it works well and I can record on high quality and sometimes it just doesn't work and the FPS drops as hell.

It works all right to edit stuff aswell but when it comes to recording it is a nightmate. So what is the most important part for me to upgrade first to be able to record without problems?

My specs are :

GPU : Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5
CPU : AMD A10-6800K 4.1 GHz
PSU : Corsair CX600M, 600W PSU
RAM : 8 GB DDR3
Motherboard : MSI FM2-A55M-E33, Socket-FM2
HD : Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5"

Any ideas or do I need to upgrade everything at once? Im thinking of buying a SSD and switch processor to Intel and also change motherboard and yeah, pretty much upgrade everything but right now I don't have the budget and want to upgrade some parts first.

Also I wonder why it doesn't work to record with the setup I have right now. I thought the FPS would only drop with 40 at maximum but it drops from 90+ to 1 FPS..

Thankful for your help :)

Solution

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

For your workload, I would push you more towards Ryzen for an upgrade, Intel's I7 lineup just can't compete with Ryzen for video editing and multithreaded workloads for the price, obviously an I9 ir really high end i7 will match or beat it, but with the price Ryzen is at it would be stupid to go Intel I7 for your budget. I recommend a Ryzen 7 2700x or 1800x for your workload over an I7 8700k any day. As for recording, what are your recording setting, FPS target, resolution, codec, are you hardware encoding or H.264 on the CPU?

May 18, 2018

Thank you, will probably go for the Ryzen then. Im not really sure, Fraps has been working best for me to record with and get a pretty good quality when it works good. I would like to record in HD with 60 fps (30 fps would still be alright if it was consistent and didn't drop.) I want to record in 1920x1080. I think it is because my processor, right? Apparently it isn't as good as I thought when I bought it. Could it be becasue it get warm maybe? Im sorry I don't really know this "codec, are you hardware encoding or H.264 on the CPU? " I will look into it in a bit.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I don't think your CPU limited, it is a pretty good CPU for an APU, I use H.264, which tends to be CPU heavy, recording on OBS with an I3 3220 dual core. If you haven't tried it, I recommend you switch to using OBS, or Open Broadcaster Software, which is what I use for recording all of my content on a much slower PC.

May 18, 2018

Ah yeah, I have tried OBS, Capture Card and Fraps, but for me Fraps works best. OBS works good if I record on super low settings but I mostly record to do Rocket League montages and for that I want to record in high quality so it looks good. :p

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Low quality recording in OBS? I record at full 1080p on a PC i payed 10 dollars for while playing games with no issues, you should try messing with the settings a bit.

Solution