Question Why can't I use both DIMM slots on Asus Prime A320M-K/CSM ?

Feb 11, 2023
So I recently Purchased a Ryzen 5 4500 and a Asus Prime A320M-K/CSM and paired it with my GTX1650.

I've noticed something really weird that I cant seem to figure out. So the main issue is I cannot use my full 16GB(2x8GB) of ram on the new System.

PC wont POST if a RAM stick is in Slot A1 but boots fine if the stick is in Slot B1 with the GTX1650 in the system, but PC boots fine when Both sticks are in both Slots and paired with a GT440, it shows the full 16GB on RAM so Slot A1 isnt broken.

So currently I can run my Gtx1650 with 1 stick of Ram in Slot B1 but as soon as I put the other stick in Slot A1 the PC wont POST at all, The PC wont even boot If I just put 1 stick in Slot A1 with the GTX1650 but POSTs perfectly with RAM in both Slots when paired with the GT440,
My motherboard has the Latest BIOS update and both my RAM sticks are working, so I honestly have no idea whats going on, any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Ryzen 5 4500 and a Asus Prime A320M-K/CSM
Can you tell which BIOS version the motherboard is on at this moment?

Considering this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, we're going to need you to pass on the specs to your build. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU if it's been in service for a while.

Feb 11, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Ryzen 5 4500 and a Asus Prime A320M-K/CSM
Can you tell which BIOS version the motherboard is on at this moment?

Considering this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, we're going to need you to pass on the specs to your build. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU if it's been in service for a while.

Hi Lutfij
I currently have:
CPU: Ryzen 5 4500
Mobo: Asus Prime A320M-K/CSM [BIOS Version 6042]
RAM: 2 x Corsair Vengance DDR4 8GB @ 2400Mhz
SSD/HDD: 250GB Munshkin SSD/ 1TB western Digital HDD
GPU: Asus Gtx1650 Dual Fan
PSU: Corsair Tx850M [ Currently around 4ish years old but as far as I know still runs well]
Chassis: Coolermaster CMSTORM Scout
Monitor: Honestly have no idea but its a LG Full HD monitor@ 60Hz

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You have one more BIOS version pending update, to 6061. See if updating to that resolves the issue. Also, might want to try and drop your processor onto a compatible motherboard with the right BIOS for your processor and see if you're getting the issue on a donor board, i.e, Slot A(channel 1 or 2) is being unresponsive, if so then your processor might have a broken integrated memory controller.

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Did you follow the motherboard manual's demands for memory exactly?

(you can't use two banks if the memory is is the wrong type, and so on, on some boards)

i'm unsure if a video card can alter the bank requirement of memory. but i am sure the "memory hole" setting can effect things

(i know there are PCI(e) settings that can impact memory bank detection thus whether a slot is "ok". but if you have default recommended settings and win10 didn't change them - i should think the graphics card can't change anything. except the memory hole feature has to be set correctly for your memory and the graphics memory card and the os must support the setting)

I'll also add: insert your memory modules very carefully. Poor insertion of memory modules can cause intermitten bank detection and may have fooled you as to what works when (ofcourse i have no idea if you repeated the procedure and how sure you are)

Feb 11, 2023
You have one more BIOS version pending update, to 6061. See if updating to that resolves the issue. Also, might want to try and drop your processor onto a compatible motherboard with the right BIOS for your processor and see if you're getting the issue on a donor board, i.e, Slot A(channel 1 or 2) is being unresponsive, if so then your processor might have a broken integrated memory controller.

I did see that there was a BIOS update but saw that it was still in beta so I didn't really get it in case something goes bad. I unfortunately don't have another motherboard to pop the processor in to, since this is the first time I'm using AMD products and everything in my house is Intel and everyone who I know with a PC also has Intel. I'll be talking to the supplies and mentioning the current issue I'm having and hopefully they might have a idea of whats happening.