Question Why can't I wipe a my Samsung 980 SSD ?

SECRETSERVICE

Commendable
Nov 3, 2021
hello

i want to wipe my SSD so I tried Samsung Magician but it did not gave me the option to wipe it as that option was grayed out..

Why is that?

Is there another way to wipe it ?

thank you....!

and love from israel

Shalom aleichem
is the SSD internally connected or externally by USB?

try deleting the volume first in disk management of windows, then secure erase in magician

Is magician up to date?
is the BIOS set to AHCI and not raid?
drivers for the SSD up to date?

SECRETSERVICE

Commendable
Nov 3, 2021
Shalom aleichem
is the SSD internally connected or externally by USB?

try deleting the volume first in disk management of windows, then secure erase in magician

Is magician up to date?
is the BIOS set to AHCI and not raid?
drivers for the SSD up to date?
for you too!!
and as for the ssd.
it is connected internally..

magician and firmware are up to date.
i've a gigabyte motherboard.
i will try to check the bios. i'm a beginner in this..

edit..
my motherboard model is Gigabyte B460M DS3H
i could not find the peripherals section in the bios so i don't know if it is set to raid or ahci..

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRETSERVICE
Hello SECRETSERVICE. Everyone is correct: You'll need to temporarily dedicate a USB flash drive to creating bootable media, using the Samsung Magician software. caution: all data on this flash drive will automatically be erased during the process of the software making it a bootable media. In addition, the Samsung software will not proceed with secure erasing your Samsung SSD, until you disable "Secure Boot" in your BIOS; that is a required step.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRETSERVICE

SECRETSERVICE

Commendable
Nov 3, 2021
No.

You cannot 'wipe' or format the OS drive, from that running OS.
You're asking the OS to delete itself.

You must boot from something else.

What is the desire for this operation?
i want to give my old computer some someone else without the possibility of someone restoring my deleted data..
and i see.

do they explain here the way to make it?
so i will use a usb drive and install the first or second option.? it is a bit confusing..

hopefully soon i can hand the computer over after wiping it..

:)

SECRETSERVICE

Commendable
Nov 3, 2021
it's hard for me to read long instructions in english.... but only reading this section should be fine..

but just let me summarize..
i will need windows to be installed on another disk so that i can proceed with samsung magician on the samsung ssd? is that correct?

USAFRet

Titan
it's hard for me to read long instructions in english.... but only reading this section should be fine..

but just let me summarize..
i will need windows to be installed on another disk so that i can proceed with samsung magician on the samsung ssd? is that correct?
No, it does not have to have "Windows" on it.

The link above, and here, show how to create a bootable USB, with only the Samsung Magician tool on it.
That is all you will need.
https://www.ubackup.com/articles/samsung-ssd-secure-erase.html