Question My i9-13900k spikes in TDP and temperature after roughly 2 minutes in Windows ?

Jun 28, 2024
As mentioned in the title, I have an issue with my 13900k randomly spiking to around 170-180 TDP and 68-72 celsius while being idle in windows ( after turning on my pc its fine for roughly 2 minutes, my temperatures and TDP are fine, low, in their 30s then it spikes ). I use Intels Extreme Tuning Utility and my AIO LCD readout for monitoring.
My motherboard is Asrock Z790 Taichi Carrara, I have a Corsair H150i Elite AIO cooler, 64gb of GDDR 5 ram clocked at 5200 ( right now at 4800 due to bios default settings ) and a 4090 from ASUS.

So my first question is how do I fix my CPU temperatures? I have like 12 fans ( 7 intake, 5 outtake) in addition to the AIO pump. I know this line of CPUs is infamous for running hot, thats why I initially found this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjkNSySzsg
. Followed the steps but while I did see a slightly better score in cinebench ( still nothing close to the video, my top score was like 35k ). Also I have the latest bios from asrocks site ( 13.06 ). I tried putting intels limits on and off in the bios, the temp remained roughly the same, tried limiting it manually like in the video to 400 and 253 each, no help. Changed the power delivery option in bios from base to performance and baseline. Performance was best performing with highest temps, baseline was the worst performing with lowest temps. Tried XMP profiles too, little to no difference. The only thing I havent tried from the video is undervolting because I couldn't locate that specific setting in my bios.

If anyone can help me just get as much performance out of my cpu while lowering temps as much as possible I would appreciate it. Did I loose the silicon lottery or something?
Cinebench scores vary depending on above mentioned settings from 24k to 35k and isn't this cpu score range in like 38-40k?
If anyone needs monitoring screens from any program please let me know.
Id appreciate any feedback.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder what is loading after 2 minutes of startup.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Not all Youtube videos are believable. I don't know that channel, so I can't comment really.

12 fans, how many on AIO? The CPU temp mainly controlled by AIO, rest of the fans just do what is left.

I tried putting intels limits on and off in the bios, the temp remained roughly the same, tried limiting it manually like in the video to 400 and 253 each, no help.
400 and 253 are the extreme settings, that will not be much different from completely no limit...
Try the performance settings of 307 and 253.
Also you can't have top end overclocking scores with low temps, it just doesn't work, look at the reviews you got the scores from and look at what hardware they used to get that and what temps they got.
Thomas_Hannaford_0-1718725426624.png

Jun 28, 2024
400 and 253 are the extreme settings, that will not be much different from completely no limit...
Try the performance settings of 307 and 253.
Also you can't have top end overclocking scores with low temps, it just doesn't work, look at the reviews you got the scores from and look at what hardware they used to get that and what temps they got.
Thomas_Hannaford_0-1718725426624.png
Ok but where exactly do I put these values. Sorry Im not so versed in bios management. Also do I keep intel limits enabled or disabled?

Jun 28, 2024
I wonder what is loading after 2 minutes of startup.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Not all Youtube videos are believable. I don't know that channel, so I can't comment really.

12 fans, how many on AIO? The CPU temp mainly controlled by AIO, rest of the fans just do what is left.
3 exhaust fans on AIO. Doing the clean boot now as instructed, will report after.

Colif

Win 11 Master
letting pc idle after boot could let windows run whatever its doing

Sometimes easiest way to identity that sort of thing is open task manager and just leave it on screen while PC idles so you can see what it is running - as background idle processes generally stop if you open task manager while they are running to see what they are.

That is how I find anything that does it on my PC.

I don't know if Asrock have any program like AI Suite that could be changing those settings on startup. I see something called Asrock Motherboard Utility but I don't know what it does.

Jun 28, 2024
letting pc idle after boot could let windows run whatever its doing

Sometimes easiest way to identity that sort of thing is open task manager and just leave it on screen while PC idles so you can see what it is running - as background idle processes generally stop if you open task manager while they are running to see what they are.

That is how I find anything that does it on my PC.

I don't know if Asrock have any program like AI Suite that could be changing those settings on startup. I see something called Asrock Motherboard Utility but I don't know what it does.
Funny you mention task manager because the last thing of note was a fact that whenever I opened task manager, temps imidiatelly dropped back to 30s.

Jun 28, 2024
Well Id like to thank everyone for help and suggestions but I solved the issue, or rather it solved itself ( for now, fingers crossed, I'll try to report back in a few days if this thread is still alive if anyones interested ).

My windows collapsed and I was forced to reinstall, Whenever I do I do a full drive format across all drives, so I reinstalled windows and voila, problem gone, temps are stable and performance quite good so far. It had to be a windows-side issue for sure. No idea what though, maybe a virus but my system ran fine except that one thing and I did catch viruses in the past so I know what symptoms to look for.

Regardless, if anything changes I'll try to post here again. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well Id like to thank everyone for help and suggestions but I solved the issue, or rather it solved itself ( for now, fingers crossed, I'll try to report back in a few days if this thread is still alive if anyones interested ).

My windows collapsed and I was forced to reinstall, Whenever I do I do a full drive format across all drives, so I reinstalled windows and voila, problem gone, temps are stable and performance quite good so far. It had to be a windows-side issue for sure. No idea what though, maybe a virus but my system ran fine except that one thing and I did catch viruses in the past so I know what symptoms to look for.

Regardless, if anything changes I'll try to post here again. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
That sounds like your PC was infected and somebody using your CPU for mining.
Wiping your drives would of got rid of it.

Had another poster here a couple weeks ago and it did the same thing when you open task manager it would hide itself.

TRENDING THREADS